2003 ISX suggestions needed
08-05-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
RE: 2003 ISX suggestions needed
(08-04-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I hear you! I agree on a separate set of tools for the truck. I carry that Kobalt set and some Craftsman wrenches. The good stuff stays at the house.

On your coolant, just a good idea to run around the truck and tighten all of the hose clamps every few weeks. In the winter is when I seem to have my largest amount of coolant loss. "Cold Leaks" is how it was described to me. Expansion and contraction... Coolant will leak out going down the road, when you stop for the night, the leak stops. no sign of coolant anywhere on the outside of the truck. I learned that the hard way, a new EGR Cooler for $2500, when all it was was a bad hose clamp.

And speaking of hose clamps, stick with the tension ones, with the bolt and spring. Those regular worm gear clamps are junk. Spend the extra dollars and get the good ones. They are much cheaper than a tow bill. ;-)
Thats another one- spare parts. How much, which ones, etc. I picked up 10 feet of 3/8' heater hose to replace the one that blew, then have extra. Planning on doing the same with 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 if I need to. I did notice some hoses looked to be silicone, but usually where it's air. So I don't know about carrying spares of that.

But yes thinking of looking it all over and picking out the the most common clamps for coolant, turbo, and other piping, and get a couple of each. I've started a tackle box of brass fittings, and another for electrical fittings. Zip ties, brake clean, penetrating fluid, etc already on board.

Then once the second box is on carry 6-8 gallons of coolant. Already have motor oil. Thinking gear oil and PS fluid should be in there too. So much to carry "in case".

Gonna be a service truck on wheels that pulls freight occasionally!

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2003 ISX suggestions needed - DDlighttruck - 08-05-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.