Coolant leaking from radiator cap
07-22-2017, (Subject: Coolant leaking from radiator cap ) 
Coolant leaking from radiator cap
Hi, im new to this forum as well as to being an owner operator. I have a Freightliner cascadia with cummins cm2250. My problem is, coolant leaking from the radiator cap, i changed the cap with the new one and new one is leaking too. My engine is running 15-20 degrees hotter than usual and when it gets hot oil pressure drops. I dont know if it has anything to do with the last repairs but i changed the oil pan seal, crankcase breather filter. And right after this it started to having these problems. Any ideas or same experience?[/size]
replyreply
07-23-2017, (Subject: Coolant leaking from radiator cap ) 
RE: Coolant leaking from radiator cap
Do a pressure test to the coolant system and make sure it is not building pressure because of a bad head gasket or something else.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Im thinking about the pressure build up as well, just hoping that it is not the head gasket. Thanks for the reply.
replyreply
Mine did it too on my 2016 Cascadia. I just found that the cap had to be twisted on quite a bit tighter than what I was used too on prior trucks. I haven't had any issues since. Coolant levels are consistent.
Also I was having heating issues. I found that my radiator was plugged with grain dust. I hosed it out, been working great since.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , hhow55
Like Rawze says pressure test it... Been down that road, it was the head. BUT, mine would hold pressure right up to the end. I milked my CM-871 for roughly two years with that bad head. Then the fun began, the pressure was so great it blew my radiator apart and the coolant lines inside of the APU cases. Any coolant line that had the slightest bit of age blew apart. Then it was time, new head and in frame. You would open the coolant bottle and it was like a volcano!

One other thing that you can check is the air compressor. I don't know how yours is plumbed, but on the 871 it could cause issues like this, air/pressure in the coolant system. One of the guys can chime in if that could be a possibility on you particular motor. Hopefully it is something simple like this. If it is the head, don't reuse it, you will need a new one, not a reman. These are considered disposable items on the Cummins and should be replaced with NEW OEM. Good luck!
replyreply
That crankcase breather filter, was it replaced with the new filterless element? And was the rubber hose removed and inspected for blockage? I would pull that hose and make sure nothing has made a home in it or is clogged with something.

If none of the above works, have you checked the oil for coolant? Oil analysis? If you have a Speedco near by maybe run it in there and have them take a sample.
replyreply
(07-23-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  That crankcase breather filter, was it replaced with the new filterless element? And was the rubber hose removed and inspected for blockage? I would pull that hose and make sure nothing has made a home in it or is clogged with something.

If none of the above works, have you checked the oil for coolant? Oil analysis? If you have a Speedco near by maybe run it in there and have them take a sample.
It wasn't the maintenance free filter. Thats all i know but i will pull it out tomorrow and look at it for any blockage. Thanks for all the input.
replyreply
07-24-2017, (Subject: Coolant leaking from radiator cap ) 
check the head
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.