Using the Gear Lube
08-22-2017, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
Using the Gear Lube
I bought a 2013 Freightliner with a dd13 because the crank brokein half in my Volvo (ISX 450 - 870). she now has 619k on her. I just finished reading about using the gear oil and was wondering if y'all think it would be ok for the dd13.
replyreply
08-22-2017, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
RE: Using the Gear Lube
(08-22-2017 )bossboy2 Wrote:  I bought a 2013 Freightliner with a dd13 because the crank brokein half in my Volvo (ISX 450 - 870). she now has 619k on her. I just finished reading about using the gear oil and was wondering if y'all think it would be ok for the dd13.

What you say about why you switched to a Detroit from cummins makes no sense. It implies that the crank in a CM870 is inferior to the DD13 in some way and that simply is not true at all. Did you even know that the DD13 crank is made so cheaply, that they press-fit the lobes on them instead of machining them like other brands of engines? Did you know that the DD13 and DD15 engines are notorious for spinning a main bearing when they get older if you replace the oil filter and fuel filter at the same time? -- Even speedco got tired of being sued over this and had to change their policy and procedure when doing a service on them.

Anyhow, personal choice and opinions aside ... enough rambling ... I think it may be the 3 beers I had talking...

=======

You asked about gear lube in your DD13. That would be question of ...

Is there anything really different materials inside one that would be negatively effected long term? -- I highly doubt there are materials inside the engine that are any different than mine by very much. The only thing I can think of may be the notorious wiring harness issues they have for the injectors that loves to go bad all the time in them. That is not so much the fault of the oil, but bad material design in general, and the oil just eats them up. - My own question would be "Does anyone think that the gear lube additives would accelerate this already known problem?" -- Unknown.

Does the truck still have its DPF etc? - Or is it de-mandated? -- DOC and DPF in tact, the sulphides in the oil, albeit low amounts is something to consider. GL-4 may be better than GL-5 if your worried about it.

Are you doing regular oil sampling, so that you can compare the numbers both before and after?

There may be other minor concerns that I myself would have in that situation, but nothing I can think of that would indicate something major. Then again, I have never had a detroit engine for long enough to find out myself.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-27-2017, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
Sorry it took so long to reply but, the life of a trucker. As far as the previous engine (ISX) is concerned, at 495k the oil pressure light came on and engine made light tapping. Shut her down and had it towed to Cummins Amarillo. They said they replaced the oil pump but tapping noise was still there. I didn't get fully out of Amarillo and tapping noise became 4lb sledgehammer beating against the block. Apparently a circlip came out of one of the wristpins and it ultimately worked its way into the block destroying it. So they said. Reconditioned block was brought in from Dallas, brand new head and all the peripherals and I was told to "drive it like you stole it", which I definitely don't do. 400k later the crank broke. Sorry, I'm just kinda expecting blocks to last at least 800k. I was empty the second time and going downhill on I-75 into Atlanta. No reason to break a crank. So yeah, I've always sworn by my Cummins engines as that's what I've used for the better part of 20 years, but the ISX left a sour taste 2x and I had already spent 24k on it once. I wasn't prepared to do it again. Maybe when they get it together I'll go back but the company I'm leased with has Petes that they lease with the Cummins ISX. They are constantly in the shop for rings, egr problems but surprisingly very few DOC issues...so far. Those are my reasons for the change.

That said, I have three oil samples done. The only parameter that's ever been exceeded was viscosity. It was about 2 points too high. I checked the soot level but it was midrange and acceptable. Granted, I get them done at Speedcrap but a sample is better than no sample. Unfortunately, Speedco doesn't check for fuel or coolant which I find egregious but I don't have a way to pull a sample myself. Yet. The truck is a 2013 Cascadia with EGR, DOC intact and working properly.
BTW, no, I hadn't heard of the issues you were describing about the DD13. I did see a disgruntled drive once really chewing Freightliner's ass about the wiring harness though, but I had already bought the truck.
I have searched the web trying to find a site that deals specifically with the DD engines but the best I can find seems more tuned to the diesel pickup truck market.
replyreply
09-27-2017, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
How about gear oil in 60 series Detroit Glider I’m wanting to start adding to it.
replyreply
09-28-2017, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
(09-27-2017 )MBlazevic Wrote:  How about gear oil in 60 series Detroit Glider I’m wanting to start adding to it.
I'm running gear lube in my 60 series.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: bossboy2 , overshot
02-16-2018, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
Gonna start adding the gear lube at next oil change. I'll try and post my oil analyses from the past and try to get one from the next sampling for comparison purposes. Maybe it can help other DD13/15 owners make their decisions.

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
02-16-2018, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
(08-22-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-22-2017 )bossboy2 Wrote:  I bought a 2013 Freightliner with a dd13 because the crank brokein half in my Volvo (ISX 450 - 870). she now has 619k on her. I just finished reading about using the gear oil and was wondering if y'all think it would be ok for the dd13.

What you say about why you switched to a Detroit from cummins makes no sense. It implies that the crank in a CM870 is inferior to the DD13 in some way and that simply is not true at all. Did you even know that the DD13 crank is made so cheaply, that they press-fit the lobes on them instead of machining them like other brands of engines? Did you know that the DD13 and DD15 engines are notorious for spinning a main bearing when they get older if you replace the oil filter and fuel filter at the same time? -- Even speedco got tired of being sued over this and had to change their policy and procedure when doing a service on them.

Anyhow, personal choice and opinions aside ... enough rambling ... I think it may be the 3 beers I had talking...

=======

Is there anything really different materials inside one that would be negatively effected long term? -- I highly doubt there are materials inside the engine that are any different than mine by very much. The only thing I can think of may be the notorious wiring harness issues they have for the injectors that loves to go bad all the time in them. That is not so much the fault of the oil, but bad material design in general, and the oil just eats them up. - My own question would be "Does anyone think that the gear lube additives would accelerate this already known problem?" -- Unknown.

Does the truck still have its DPF etc? - Or is it de-mandated? -- DOC and DPF in tact, the sulphides in the oil, albeit low amounts is something to consider. GL-4 may be better than GL-5 if your worried about it.

Are you doing regular oil sampling, so that you can compare the numbers both before and after?

There may be other minor concerns that I myself would have in that situation, but nothing I can think of that would indicate something major. Then again, I have never had a detroit engine for long enough to find out myself.

I have been using gear oil after the first time i met rawze several years ago..... and i know that " i am not in deep sh!!t".
Someone is in... u know wat i meant master Rawze... lol
replyreply
02-19-2018, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
(02-16-2018 )wildpib Wrote:  
(08-22-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  

=======

I have been using gear oil after the first time i met rawze several years ago..... and i know that " i am not in deep sh!!t".
Someone is in... u know wat i meant master Rawze... lol

Not real sure what this means.

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
02-19-2018, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
(02-19-2018 )bossboy2 Wrote:  Not real sure what this means.

Was wondering if you went with using a bit of gear lube or other type of oil in that thing to bring viscosity up?- Any sampling before and after?, etc. I am sure others are curious.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.