Using the Gear Lube
02-16-2018, (Subject: Using the Gear Lube ) 
RE: Using the Gear Lube
(08-22-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-22-2017 )bossboy2 Wrote:  I bought a 2013 Freightliner with a dd13 because the crank brokein half in my Volvo (ISX 450 - 870). she now has 619k on her. I just finished reading about using the gear oil and was wondering if y'all think it would be ok for the dd13.

What you say about why you switched to a Detroit from cummins makes no sense. It implies that the crank in a CM870 is inferior to the DD13 in some way and that simply is not true at all. Did you even know that the DD13 crank is made so cheaply, that they press-fit the lobes on them instead of machining them like other brands of engines? Did you know that the DD13 and DD15 engines are notorious for spinning a main bearing when they get older if you replace the oil filter and fuel filter at the same time? -- Even speedco got tired of being sued over this and had to change their policy and procedure when doing a service on them.

Anyhow, personal choice and opinions aside ... enough rambling ... I think it may be the 3 beers I had talking...

=======

You asked about gear lube in your DD13. That would be question of ...

Is there anything really different materials inside one that would be negatively effected long term? -- I highly doubt there are materials inside the engine that are any different than mine by very much. The only thing I can think of may be the notorious wiring harness issues they have for the injectors that loves to go bad all the time in them. That is not so much the fault of the oil, but bad material design in general, and the oil just eats them up. - My own question would be "Does anyone think that the gear lube additives would accelerate this already known problem?" -- Unknown.

Does the truck still have its DPF etc? - Or is it de-mandated? -- DOC and DPF in tact, the sulphides in the oil, albeit low amounts is something to consider. GL-4 may be better than GL-5 if your worried about it.

Are you doing regular oil sampling, so that you can compare the numbers both before and after?

There may be other minor concerns that I myself would have in that situation, but nothing I can think of that would indicate something major. Then again, I have never had a detroit engine for long enough to find out myself.

I have been using gear oil after the first time i met rawze several years ago..... and i know that " i am not in deep sh!!t".
Someone is in... u know wat i meant master Rawze... lol
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Using the Gear Lube - bossboy2 - 08-22-2017,
RE: Using the Gear Lube - wildpib - 02-16-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.