Leaf springs...
09-14-2017, (Subject: Leaf springs... ) 
Leaf springs...
So I was doing my typical inspection at the house now that I've cleaned up the mess that Irma left me so I can get back to work.

My front 2 leaf springs only have 2 leaves, and are no longer parallel with one another. They are now more like an X pattern if I was to exaggerate, with the bottom being about 1/4"- 3/8" off at the front and the back when compared to the top leaf. I was planning on new bushings soon, then I notice this. There is no evidence of damage or an impact or anything of the sort.

Some say it's legal, some don't. Either way, I don't like it if it's not right, so the question is, is this a repairable condition (ie loosen and realign), or am I better just going with 2 new steer axle springs and another 3 axle alignment?

Also, is this due to wear or something else? What causes this?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: Leaf springs...
This is usually caused by loose U bolts, the U bolts need to be retightened after being installed and can also stretch over time. You should be able to hit the springs back into alignment with a hammer then tighten the nuts with a big cheater bar or a big impact but sometime the impact is not enough.If the nuts are real loose the springs could have shifted and sheared the center pin on the springs it will then need to be replaced to make sure the Axel is allined,get some new U bolts while your shopping.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz , trucklogger2
It could be under-torqued u-bolts. Check the torque for 600-ft-lbs (or whatever your u-bold spec is). If they are at 600+ ft-lbs already, then I would start considering replacing the springs, as it is also possible for them to become weak as they get old. I have seen more than a few trucks with weak springs and they can break with no warning, killing you.

If the DOT sees the abnormal gap in the springs, they can shut you down over it, accusing them of being weak.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-15-2017, (Subject: Leaf springs... ) 
3 week wait for new ones. $500 a side but they come as a complete kit, bolts and all, from paccar...I suppose that isn't too horrifying.

I'll have to replace some other steer axle parts soon that are getting close to being due. Anybody use these pro-torque spindle nuts? I would imagine they would help setting wheel bearings more precise than the factory lock nuts...

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: trucklogger2
(09-15-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  3 week wait for new ones. $500 a side but they come as a complete kit, bolts and all, from paccar...I suppose that isn't too horrifying.

I'll have to replace some other steer axle parts soon that are getting close to being due. Anybody use these pro-torque spindle nuts? I would imagine they would help setting wheel bearings more precise than the factory lock nuts...

I don't have any personal experience at this time, but you may want to read through this thread. It sounds like you're talking about the same things.

It certainly opened my eyes...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2070
replyreply
I use the pro-torque nut on everything they work great follow the instructions.

You don't have to buy paccar parts get your springs after market I have had good luck with Triangle brand. I don't run over the road I run a dump truck we are overloaded all the time especially on the truck rear Axels and trailer Axels the front springs don't fail very often and are not overloaded nearly as much.

I used to get a good deal from my local Peterbilt dealer but they kept raising my price and I finally had to start buying from a few local parts stores that carry brand name parts I do have a Kenworth dealer that now gives me good parts pricing.

You will save a ton of money finding a good none dealer parts house, there are times you have to buy from the dealer but keep it to a minimum to save.

Paccar now has a cheaper brand of parts both Pig Tough and TRP some are brand name repackaged and are of good quality but some are crap the problem is figuring out the good from the bad, I will not buy any of there off brand stuff unless I am positive it is repackaged brand name.

About 7+ years ago my Peterbilt dealer started selling TRP break shoes that were supposed to be re packaged brand name break shoes I was told they were the same quality and brand that I had been buying for 20 years and they were shi#t the rivets came loose and the linings cracked when the rivets come loose you get that break squeal and it was not just one bad batch I had drive Axel problems trailer problems and front Axel problems breaks that were relined over a few years all had a few shoes fail, sure they will give me a new set of shoes put what about a new center fuse drum? and now my breaks are uneven buyer beware
replyreply
09-16-2017, (Subject: Leaf springs... ) 
dhirocz daget priteline='1505522723' Wrote:  3 week wait for new ones. $500 a side but they come as a complete kit, bolts and all, from paccar...I suppose that isn't too horrifying.

Get a quote from most heavy duty spring and suspension shop or suppliet. Lookup Standen's online as they supply everybody out my way for starters and go from there.

User's Signature: 36-25-34
replyreply
(09-15-2017 )arch_stanton Wrote:  ...

About 7+ years ago my Peterbilt dealer started selling TRP break shoes that were supposed to be re packaged brand name

Peterbilt owns the TRP (I think chineese) brand. I have had little issues with this TRP stuff, but I don't own a pete, so there is very little of it on my truck. Rims and some clamps, thats about it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(09-16-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 )arch_stanton Wrote:  ...

About 7+ years ago my Peterbilt dealer started selling TRP break shoes that were supposed to be re packaged brand name

Peterbilt owns the TRP (I think chineese) brand. I have had little issues with this TRP stuff, but I don't own a pete, so there is very little of it on my truck. Rims and some clamps, thats about it.
TRP= temporary replacement parts
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Hammerhead , gatow900 , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.