Disappearing Coolant
04-18-2016, (Subject: Disappearing Coolant ) 
RE: Disappearing Coolant
Well, I'm at Cummins Mid South. So far, they've had me sign an estimate for 6 hours of diagnostic time. $128 per hour. At this point, it will be a good thing if it turns out to be the cooler and not something more expensive.
replyreply
(04-18-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  Well, I'm at Cummins Mid South. So far, they've had me sign an estimate for 6 hours of diagnostic time. $128 per hour. At this point, it will be a good thing if it turns out to be the cooler and not something more expensive.

6 hours to test a cooler? Holy shi#t man! The pressure test kit is what, a hundred bucks? Reach back behind the cooler and remove two bolts! I did it in the driveway! Stick your finger in and see if it is wet, if it is dry in there with your coolant loss, I would say it is not the cooler.
replyreply
Until you learn to start investing in some tools, grab a wrench,.. and take control of your problems yourself,.. you will continue to get raped by that big fat pink dildo that the dealer has for you!.

./uploads/201604/post_2_1461036098_892e6bc02a2afebca77a405897010383.jpg

I hope you got some Vaseline there! if you are taking it to an OEM shop!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-19-2016, (Subject: Disappearing Coolant ) 
Well, I already knew that the "home" shop is staffed completely with dildoes. But my Monday customer was located ~1 mile from Mid South Cummins. I'm confident that the "technicians" here are at least a bit more competent. Had I brought it to the home shop, I'm sure it would have been over $6000 since they would have also changed the water pump that wasn't even faulty.

You know, I never would have tackled my EGR tune up if not for you guys. Thanks for that! But I couldn't even see the cooler. I looked up my engine diagram on the Cummins site and then couldn't find anything that looked like the cooler on my truck. Maybe it's just too far under the doghouse.

Now I have to contemplate getting the INSITE and Nexlinq to the tune of $1000. At least that's what I'm seeing: INSITE for ~$250-$300 and the Nexlinq for ~$700. But then I would be all paranoid anytime I crossed the border into Kalifornia. So I'm just kinda going crazy with that right now.
replyreply
Don't get discouraged! You're at the right place . Diagrams are sort of generic. When you get your $250-$300 device , PM Unilevers or Gearhead. Then roll up your sleeves and get to learn and work on your truck . We're all here to help ! So far I know of 3 shops spread along US : Gearhead's , Haggay's and DrISX . In any one of this you can get the best ever existing diagnosis and service! EVER !!!
replyreply
Get one of the Nex readers on Ebay... China, $300 with all of the stuff you need to do the cummins and the truck. It is a do it all unit. Like Wiseman said, pm those guys.

The EGR Cooler has the copper looking bellows accordion looking thingy on the front of it, just below your alternator. It is a long rectangular metal case, runs just below the head for the length of the block. Go all the way to the rear of it and there is a metal hose fitting like a car thermostat pipe. Remove those two bolts, pull it away and stick your finger in there. ;-)
replyreply
04-20-2016, (Subject: Disappearing Coolant ) 
(04-19-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  Well, I already knew that the "home" shop is staffed completely with dildoes. But my Monday customer was located ~1 mile from Mid South Cummins. I'm confident that the "technicians" here are at least a bit more competent. Had I brought it to the home shop, I'm sure it would have been over $6000 since they would have also changed the water pump that wasn't even faulty.

You know, I never would have tackled my EGR tune up if not for you guys. Thanks for that! But I couldn't even see the cooler. I looked up my engine diagram on the Cummins site and then couldn't find anything that looked like the cooler on my truck. Maybe it's just too far under the doghouse.

Now I have to contemplate getting the INSITE and Nexlinq to the tune of $1000. At least that's what I'm seeing: INSITE for ~$250-$300 and the Nexlinq for ~$700. But then I would be all paranoid anytime I crossed the border into Kalifornia. So I'm just kinda going crazy with that right now.

You can get insite with inline adapter off ebay ~$250-$300. Inline works fine. Nexiq is not necessary.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
The Nex is nice if you want to get into your cab controller AND motor. I wish I would have went that route over the Inline 5, but I did not know nor care at the time as my truck was tits up in the driveway and I needed to get her back on the road.
replyreply
Well, now that it's done I can see clearly where the EGR cooler is! And according to the write up, it was quite the bear to get to. I believe it. Shockingly, they came in at about $250 lower than the estimate. A nice "bonus."

However, when I fired it up I saw that they didn't clear the codes. So I got ahold of the tech and got him to come back out and clear them. His computer was showing they were cleared. So I checked again and they were cleared. I guess you have to cycle the key a couple of times.

Oh, and he had the Inline 6 to hook it up. Any advantage over the 5?

I guess I'm no longer in a hurry to start my milk route since everything is new or freshly cleaned out. But when I do, what are the chances of getting a hefty fine in Kalifornia or elsewhere? Anybody know how much it is?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.