Pete 386 exhaust
10-21-2017, (Subject: Pete 386 exhaust ) 
Pete 386 exhaust
2010 386 with single exhaust behind the cab. Support strap broke and my 3 year old $500 stock muffler fell off. Luckily it was close to home. I stopped and picked it up.
I went the cheap way and put a straight pipe in its place. I didn't think it would be too loud, but it is quite loud. It's de-mandated so there's not much between the engine and the air.
The old muffler was straight through. You could look right through it. I bought a universal one for $70, but it wasn't big enough around or lengthwise to fit it right.
My problem is I don't want to attract any attention to myself with this being too loud. They make a muffler insert for $122. Do they work? Will I get myself in trouble, or will I have to shell out for another muffler? Any other ideas? Thanks.
replyreply
10-22-2017, (Subject: Pete 386 exhaust ) 
RE: Pete 386 exhaust
I can't shed any light on the inserts, never used or seen them, but if the exhaust is 5" you might want to look at this muffler-

https://catalog.donaldson.com/productDet...uId=s17000

Fairly standard 5" In/Out, 10'' round, 51" long.

It's their "quiet" one, but still a straight through design. I have 2 on my truck, still a little loud for me sometimes, but certainly better than a straight pipe. I paid $165/ea at my local shop, so, hopefully, if you had to go to a dealer it would be close to that.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , Mrkentee
10-23-2017, (Subject: Pete 386 exhaust ) 
RE: Pete 386 exhaust
(10-21-2017 )Mrkentee Wrote:  2010 386 with single exhaust behind the cab. Support strap broke and my 3 year old $500 stock muffler fell off. Luckily it was close to home. I stopped and picked it up.
I went the cheap way and put a straight pipe in its place. I didn't think it would be too loud, but it is quite loud. It's de-mandated so there's not much between the engine and the air.
The old muffler was straight through. You could look right through it. I bought a universal one for $70, but it wasn't big enough around or lengthwise to fit it right.
My problem is I don't want to attract any attention to myself with this being too loud. They make a muffler insert for $122. Do they work? Will I get myself in trouble, or will I have to shell out for another muffler? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Vibration in the support bracket and water getting into the top of them is what gets them. Better straps, better support bracket, and the top end of the stack pipe not pointing straight up at the sky so that rain does not run down into it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.