diesel generator
06-24-2021, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
RE: diesel generator
F yea! The first time I noticed the set up the gentleman had a 3000honda bolted on the cat walk and had the gas canister under his bunk.
I'm into luxury but it will kill you in the long haul. I don't mind walking to go get some gas.
I do power only loads, so I'd have to find another way of storing a canister. I don't believe underneath the bunk would be the safest bet.

User's Signature: We're a full grid off.
replyreply
I just got an email from an rv parts place. He said Coleman only recommends the roughneck for a semi. Damn, that almost tripled the price.
replyreply
(06-24-2021 )Paccardude Wrote:  F yea! The first time I noticed the set up the gentleman had a 3000honda bolted on the cat walk and had the gas canister under his bunk.
I'm into luxury but it will kill you in the long haul. I don't mind walking to go get some gas.
I do power only loads, so I'd have to find another way of storing a canister. I don't believe underneath the bunk would be the safest bet.

You're correct, under the bunk (inside the cab/bunk) is not only dangerous, it's not allowed. There is a clearly defined quantity of gas (hazmat) that you can carry with you exempt from hazmat regs. It applies to anything from spare cans of gas and diesel to things like propane tanks and such. It also stipulates where you can and can't carry these items, specifically they CAN'T be inside the cab/sleeper and must be in appropriate containers that are properly secured for transport (IE: you can't use bungees to hold them to the catwalk! Rope or properly rated straps are fine, as is an external storage box). If you exceed the quantities then it falls under the hazmat regs for cargo. I think 5 gallons is the number for spare containers such as gas or diesel, but I'd have to look it up and don't have my hazmat guide with me right now (I'm at home).

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(06-23-2021 )Paccardude Wrote:  Have you ever had a DOT inspection? Are the Gas generators DOT compliant and carrying a gas canister?

I used to run a gas-burner generator on my truck before I had the APU. I looked into it extensively for what is legal. here is my own understanding on what i learned...

YES: you can have up to 15 gallons (though more than 5 is frowned upon) of gasoline for a portable generator... AS LONG AS THE CONTAINER IS SECURED IN A MANNER THAT A ROLLOVER WILL NOT ALLOW IT TO SPILL, BECOME PUNCTURED, OR COME LOOSE FROM ITS MOUNT!... meaning that the PORTABLE PLASTIC gas can used needs to be stored in a drop-in chamber made form metal and enclosed, protected, and securely fastened against easy puncture, or sliding out on its own, holder afixed to the vehicle in some permanent fashion. Generator is the same way... you can't just bu8ngee (or strap) it down and bungee the gas can down and not expect to get a fine. That generator needs to be bolted to the frame, cat-walk, etc. in some way to be legal,.. and any holder for the gas can... same thing... and gas can stored inside it, strapped in.

I have seen plenty of ppl with a generator strapped to their cat-walk, and gas can held on with a rubber bungee or 2 .. they often get away with it.. but it does not mean its right.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
(06-24-2021 )barf Wrote:  I just got an email from an rv parts place. He said Coleman only recommends the roughneck for a semi. Damn, that almost tripled the price.
This is the one I put on my Prostar and I put the heater in it also. I have had mine for a few years now but I believe it was 12??.00 when I bought it. It is the cats meow though, I have not had a lick of trouble.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.