diesel generator
10-30-2017, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
RE: diesel generator
I hear you guys... But, I am not a mechanic, nor an engineer. I want something that just works. I live in this truck during the week, and I just want something that I do not have to Mickey Mouse with to keep running or build from scratch. I waste enough time on this POS truck of mine just trying to keep it running and in good shape.

My current Tri-Pac I have only had to take in once to ThermoKing, and that is when I bought the truck. It looked like a bomb went off inside the case and did cost $1500 to get running, it is now an 11 year old unit. This thing was severely neglected and abused, and that was four years ago. In regards to parts, if you know where to shop the parts are about what you would pay in town at the auto parts store and is not that difficult to work on.

If not for the age of the unit, it still has the original AC compressor on it and blows ice cold, I would keep it. But the case is to far gone, it looks like hell and quite frankly it has reached the end after 11 years of use. For a couple hundred a month I will throw a new Evolution on with the aluminum case. With good care, the worst case is an occasional alternator, belts and hoses. This will be my fifth one, I had one of the first ones they sold, and this is the only one that has given me issues, but again, this unit was severely abused prior to me purchasing the truck.

This is a PRO for me... In the Winter, the unit pays for itself. I love the fact that I can set this thing and it will keep my BATTERIES CHARGED and the BLOCK and CAB warm, as I have no where to plug in. And keeping the cab warm, that is huge with all of the electronics on these trucks. Cold = moisture, and we all know what moisture does to electronics and computers. These trucks are what, 60% to 70% electronics and computers? It just makes sense. And then the stuff we add on, the stereo, the GPS, that camera, the microwave, the refrigerator. None of that stuff is cheap to replace.

And then the big thing, if you have the EGR/DPF/SCR systems still intact, you would be a fool NOT to have one of these.

With proper care, I check it weekly and service every third oil change at TA or Speedco, along with hitting it with the garden hose every couple of months... Do that, and it should not give you any issues. Neglect is the biggest thing with these units, you have to check it and keep it clean internally. A driver could care less, but this is my unit, and I will take care of it. That is the difference.

Let me also add, my truck is paid for, I have no real bills to speak of other than cellphone, fuel, parts, repairs and tools to write off. So, in my position, this is a smart thing to do.

Hey, just my .02
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , fargonaz

Messages In This Thread
diesel generator - barf - 10-29-2017,
RE: diesel generator - barf - 10-30-2017,
RE: diesel generator - Waterloo - 10-30-2017
RE: diesel generator - barf - 10-31-2017,
RE: diesel generator - ynot - 10-31-2017,
RE: diesel generator - Nilao - 11-01-2017,
RE: diesel generator - JimT - 06-21-2021,
RE: diesel generator - Rawze - 06-22-2021,
RE: diesel generator - JimT - 06-23-2021,
RE: diesel generator - Ricky - 06-23-2021,
RE: diesel generator - Rawze - 06-24-2021,
RE: diesel generator - barf - 06-23-2021,
RE: diesel generator - JimT - 06-24-2021,
RE: diesel generator - barf - 06-24-2021,
RE: diesel generator - Ricky - 06-24-2021,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.