diesel generator
10-31-2017, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
RE: diesel generator
I hear you on the weight, when you haul by the ton every ounce counts. And I know these units are not for everyone, or would be destroyed in other applications, especially with a driver in a truck. I've seen first hand what they can do, and it is never pretty nor cheap.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
I just have a fixed pay per mile leased to a company. My issue with weight is heavy reefer loads that put me just over 80,000 lbs means driving with less than full tanks of fuel. Stressful when that fuel gauge is less than 1/4. A 700 lb APU is almost 100 gallons less fuel.

But I agree too, guys that get paid by the ton, that's less revenue every load.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I know you guys are talking generators an looking too save weight, but if anybody is looking to do a battery A/C setup I stumbled across the company that supplies the 12v A/C sysyems too the oem's they're called Red Dot.

ww.reddotcorp.com is the main website nothing really useful there

http://www.apairinc.com/shopping/?ic=3916 here's a US parts supplier, the prices are extremely surprising compared too the $5k+ battery setups

I'm thinking of piecing something together next spring
replyreply
11-01-2017, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
(10-31-2017 )ynot Wrote:  I know you guys are talking generators an looking too save weight, but if anybody is looking to do a battery A/C setup I stumbled across the company that supplies the 12v A/C sysyems too the oem's they're called Red Dot.

ww.reddotcorp.com is the main website nothing really useful there

http://www.apairinc.com/shopping/?ic=3916 here's a US parts supplier, the prices are extremely surprising compared too the $5k+ battery setups

I'm thinking of piecing something together next spring
As I heard from driver who had battery powered AC to be comfortable all night in Phoenix need 4 - 6 additional deep cycle batteries. So no weight saving and batteries are costly.
Plus you need HD expensive alternator to charge the batteries.
replyreply
11-01-2017, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
I had a nite system in my last truck. A/c and heat worked well. 4 deep cycle batteries would make it 8 hrs. There are several items that are required. Insulation is of utmost importance in this setup. I had heavy insulated curtains to isolate the bunk area as it's not designed to cool the front in key off operation. My walls were covered in a reflective coated foam to help with radiant heat. The minimum amps for the alternator was 260 otherwise the deep cycle batts would never fully charge. Engine had to run at least 6 hrs to fully charge all the batteries. There has to be a low voltage cut out switch between your starting and hotel load batteries otherwise you run the risk of draining the starting batteries as well. If I used the inverter to power my laptop and chill pad I could run the system for 6 hours before it shut down for low power.

Just my experience with one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , barf , simon999 , Waterloo
11-10-2017, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
(10-29-2017 )barf Wrote:  My APU died almost a year ago. I pulled it off and installed a cheap gas pull start generator. I'm looking at a diesel electric start generator. I have never bought off Alibaba before. Any suggestions or comments on this one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/cheap-5k...e1eb718224
If you still looking at diesel generator one is going to be on Ritchie Brothers auction on 11/16/2017 in Orlando, FL lot# 5387. The generator is brand new. Good chance to got it for nothing.
./uploads/201711/post_1794_1510362488_fa0759574d0b344d2d39f294f9c12edd.png
replyreply
06-20-2021, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
(11-10-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(10-29-2017 )barf Wrote:  My APU died almost a year ago. I pulled it off and installed a cheap gas pull start generator. I'm looking at a diesel electric start generator. I have never bought off Alibaba before. Any suggestions or comments on this one.
If you still looking at diesel generator one is going to be on Ritchie Brothers auction on 11/16/2017 in Orlando, FL lot# 5387. The generator is brand new. Good chance to got it for nothing.

Hi snail,

Did you ever find a goood durable diesel generator? I'm looking for one right now, and was seeing if any one knew of a good brand?

User's Signature: We're a full grid off.
replyreply
(06-20-2021 )Paccardude Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  

Hi snail,

Did you ever find a goood durable diesel generator? I'm looking for one right now, and was seeing if any one knew of a good brand?

I'm running one right now all day long waiting my appointment time. DIY from the parts.            
replyreply
If you are close to SLC I have air cooled diesel generator 4 kw sitting in my garage.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.