diesel generator
06-22-2021, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
RE: diesel generator
Maybe some of you will find this interesting...

AC ON SOLAR!!! Installing a Mini Split Air Conditioner on our Class C RV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj2ioF8z9o

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JimT
06-23-2021, (Subject: diesel generator ) 
personally i dont like carrier's design, its literally a shrunk down house unit and the control boards are crap
Overall Im with Rawze Id idle the truck berfore adding the extra expense of an apu
Now they would probably work well on a small camper but not a truck
replyreply
(06-23-2021 )RollinCoal Wrote:  personally i dont like carrier's design, its literally a shrunk down house unit and the control boards are crap
Overall Im with Rawze Id idle the truck berfore adding the extra expense of an apu
I have tried a lot of different generators, gas and diesel. I bought a Hatz diesel 3500 from Craigslist a few years ago. I didn't pay much for it and it had crazy low hours. It was a little noisy but I hardly ever park in truck stops so I didn't mind. I used it until I turned it off one day and the roof mount AC was running a it messed the head up. Now I just use a Honda 3500 inverter generator that is super quiet and runs two nights on a tank. I would never mess with an APU, most people I know are always working on them. My set up might be back yard but I have been using it for a long time.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , JimT , snailexpress
(06-23-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  
(06-23-2021 )RollinCoal Wrote:  personally i dont like carrier's design, its literally a shrunk down house unit and the control boards are crap
I have tried a lot of different generators, gas and diesel. I bought a Hatz diesel 3500 from Craigslist a few years ago. I didn't pay much for it and it had crazy low hours. It was a little noisy but I hardly ever park in truck stops so I didn't mind. I used it until I turned it off one day and the roof mount AC was running a it messed the head up. Now I just use a Honda 3500 inverter generator that is super quiet and runs two nights on a tank. I would never mess with an APU, most people I know are always working on them. My set up might be back yard but I have been using it for a long time.

Have you ever had a DOT inspection? Are the Gas generators DOT compliant and carrying a gas canister?

User's Signature: We're a full grid off.
replyreply
Ricky: I'm thinking of a roof mount A/C. Any problems with yours? Durability seem okay? Do you have a fairing over it, or is it wide open? Coleman Mach 3 line has a "rugged" version, but I'm hoping to just buy the "power saver" version.

I know that I started this thread a few years ago; I never did buy a diesel gen. Just been running gas ones; have to lug a gas can across the parking lot. Best thing I ever installed was a diesel heater though. My Carrier APU probably wore out because of using it for interior heat (because it's electric heat on a Carrier).
replyreply
(06-22-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  I ran a tri-pack for more than a million miles. - I can say with full confidence that it is an expense, flat out. Take this statement from a hyper-miler who is all about saving fuel. - From now on, I simply idle the truck when I want power to run things. It is cheaper than the long term care and constant servicing of that tri-pack unit, and the fuel differences do not make up for those costs.

The fuel savings of those tri-packs vs. a well tuned ISX engine with a 320-amp alternator and couple extra batteries idling at 800 rpm just don't add up over the long haul. This considering that the engine can be tweaked to idle at only about 12-15 mg/stroke via some custom programming. When engine is set this way, it competes with any apu and the cost is cheaper in the end to simply run the ISX.

That is my experience with it .. My apu now lives at a junk yard somewhere and I will not install another one. It was nice to have but in all reality, having the ISX idle set at a proper 800 rpm (because 600-rpm is too low for an ISX to idle at) and big alternator, is cheaper in the long run to operate.

The only way I currently see a generator, gas or diesel, or an APU for that matter, to be beneficial is if you are basically living in the truck for weeks on end (like many company drivers). Then having one so you don't need to run the truck engine would make more sense. Also, of course, the big reason why everyone is focused on APU's and generators instead of truck idling is due to the good ol EPA. Anti-idling laws, sure, but the extra load on the DPF and other emissions systems and the associated costs fixing and replacing them are what make APU's and generators more appealing.

That being said, my business has changed from OTR to local/regional with roughly 10-11 hours max in the bunk on weeknights. The rest of the time I'm driving, loading/securing or home. So, I think the 2nd battery bank, 320-amp alternator and maybe a small solar array to keep the fridge/freezer running over a long weekend or the occasional week or two off is all I really need. Find a cheap, small, AC solution to keep the summer heat to a manageable level and I think I'll be just fine.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(06-23-2021 )Paccardude Wrote:  
(06-23-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  

Have you ever had a DOT inspection? Are the Gas generators DOT compliant and carrying a gas canister?
Yes I have been Dotted a lot and no I have never had an issue with the gas generator. I like the gas generator I have because it is really quiet and sips fuel. I buy my diesel at small places because of prices and places I run. The small places always have gas pumps right close and every couple days I fill my two gallon can. No big deal for me plus sometimes I might not use it for days.
replyreply
(06-23-2021 )barf Wrote:  Ricky: I'm thinking of a roof mount A/C. Any problems with yours? Durability seem okay? Do you have a fairing over it, or is it wide open? Coleman Mach 3 line has a "rugged" version, but I'm hoping to just buy the "power saver" version.

I know that I started this thread a few years ago; I never did buy a diesel gen. Just been running gas ones; have to lug a gas can across the parking lot. Best thing I ever installed was a diesel heater though. My Carrier APU probably wore out because of using it for interior heat (because it's electric heat on a Carrier).
I have a 15000 BTU Coleman Rough Neck low profile and I have never had an issue with it. I did a lot of research before I bought it and it is the best to put on a truck roof. I took the wind jammer off when I first bought the truck. The AC is mounted on the roof and is pretty aerodynamics plus it looks good up there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard
06-24-2021, (Subject: diesel generator ) 

[/quote]

I carried a Honda eu3000i and two 3 gallon cans of gas in the side box of the trailer for 4-5 years. I never got questioned by DOT, Federal agents on government land and buildings, state police, bridge and tunnel police, nuclear power security none of them said a word and they all saw the generator and cans when inspected.

My biggest concern when transporting cans of gas is static electricity and storing them somewhere safe incase they did catch fire. The mid point on my aluminum trailer worked great and I never once had any problems. Even in extreme heat of the western deserts.
Although the plastic cans would deform in to round balls when they got hot. But that's just the design of the California legal crap cans. They relaxed and went back in to shape when they cooled down.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Paccardude , JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.