1st forced regen today with insite and
11-09-2017, (Subject: 1st forced regen today with insite and ) 
1st forced regen today with insite and
Its actually my 1st time seeing a regen. The truck wouldnt for the last month due to a code, but i took care of it today and fired it up and quite a few times i saw smoke come rolling out from under the doors. I saw the braided pipe that comes off the turbo expanding and contracting etc. But all that smoke i cannot honestly sit here and say i felt that was part of the normal regen process. Any input woulb be helpful. Thank you
replyreply
RE: 1st forced regen today with insite and
Did it do the regen or was it struggling to get up to temp? When mine would regen and I had white smoke billowing from under, it was the 2 exhaust gaskets on either side of the doser injector pipe. That leak was also causing it to take a long time to get to regen temp.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jamescj212
White smoke, generally in puffs is just the fuel injected after the turbo as part of the regen process. Repairing your exhaust leaks will help with the life of your aftertreatment system, the length of regens, and will probably benefit your own health too!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Jamescj212
(11-09-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Did it do the regen or was it struggling to get up to temp? When mine would regen and I had white smoke billowing from under, it was the 2 exhaust gaskets on either side of the doser injector pipe. That leak was also causing it to take a long time to get to regen temp.
No. It was all normal it seemed, i was watching rawze video and i watched the temps and all that. The piping over there is newer, like as of may this year. It lasted 40 min on the nose.
replyreply
There are paper type gaskets in your exhaust system that after time fail. There is one where the braided exhaust attaches up at the doser. More than likely that gasket is bad and needs to be replaced. It has a concave to it, it is not flat. I argued with a dealer over this, as they insisted there was no gasket there... There is.

There is also a gasket at the other end of the braided line, and in your DPF/DOC cans. From my experience they are rarely reusable if you still have the mandate. If you have had any exhaust work done, and they reused those gaskets, not good. Odds are the entire system is leaking. If you have a NAPA auto near by, they normally stock these gaskets for half of what the dealer will charge you. You will need the part numbers from the dealer so that they can cross reference.

If you have a standard shift transmission, you will want to inspect the shifter boot on the floor. You want to make sure it is not torn or worn out. It seats into the floorboard and if damaged can allow exhaust gases into the cab. I also installed a worm gear clamp at the top of the boot where the stick passes through into the cab. That is also a point of exhaust gas entry. I found that out the hard way.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jamescj212
(11-09-2017 )Jamescj212 Wrote:  ...
i saw smoke come rolling

If you saw smoke or any kind of exhaust fumes that were leaking out of ANYTHING besides the end of the exhaust stack,.. THAT IS A HUGE LIABILITY AND A SERIOUS HAZZARD!!!

ANY KIND OF EXHAUST LEAK, EVEN VERY SMALL ONES UNDER THE TRUCK OR INDER THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT IS GOING TO...

*** MAKE YOUR DRIVERS TIRED AND SICK, THEY WILL BE SLEEPY ALL THE TIME AND AT RISK OF CAUSING AN ACCIDENT... IF THEY DO GET INTO ONE WHERE SOMEONE IS KILLED,.. AND THEY FIND IT WAS EXHAUST FUMES MAKING THEM SLEEPY,.... THE EQUIPMENT OWNER IS LIABLE!!! --- THIS AIN'T NO GAME -- people's lives are in the hands of that equipment!!!.

NEXT,.. It will cause all sorts of problems like mysterious headaches, sleepiness, tiredness, and all sorts of other problems for the driver!!!...--- IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PLAY WITH!!!.

===========

Lastly, it causes the regen process to not be as effective and happen more frequently. It may have passed with flying colors on a forced regen, but going down the roads it will likely be more difficult for it to get up to temp.

Not being a nay-sayer, but I have had a few beers lol .. ... Seen my share of drivers with sleepy and tired problems complaining about exhaust leaks in trucks --> That is my warning,.. People have to sit in the cab for 11 hours a day, day in and out, and it seeping into the cab from the A/C vents, or around the bottom of the shifter, or being sucked back in by the vents at the back of the cab, or other locations while going down the roads. Someone gets carbon monoxide poisoning, it takes a week or more for the symptoms to fully go away. They are accumulative and makes the driver dangerous.

=============
\
REPLACE that flex pipe if it is leaking,.. replace ALL gaskets that may be leaking,.. never play around and take that stuff for granted. Even a tiny leak means that the driver is sucking on it all day long and a lot of times don't even know it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver , Waterloo , MCRENT , hhow55 , Jamescj212 , BobsYourUncle
Nobody said anything about a leaking anything to me. Like i said, i noticed it when i was running a forces regen after code was up for a ehile and unable to regen on its own during that time. I am definitely on it, knowing its wrong and i dobt feel like anybody should have to breathe in exhaust fumes. Im a little suprised she didnt say anything about it, well actually not much suprises me anymore with these people. That flex pipe was replaced in april, think i should shoot for gaskets then test again or get pipe again? That doesnt seem right already, that thing was really flexing though. I assumed that was what it was suoposed to do minus the smoking.
replyreply
(11-09-2017 )Jamescj212 Wrote:  Nobody said anything about a leaking anything to me. Like i said, i noticed it when i was running a forces regen after code was up for a ehile and unable to regen on its own during that time. I am definitely on it, knowing its wrong and i dobt feel like anybody should have to breathe in exhaust fumes. Im a little suprised she didnt say anything about it, well actually not much suprises me anymore with these people. That flex pipe was replaced in april, think i should shoot for gaskets then test again or get pipe again? That doesnt seem right already, that thing was really flexing though. I assumed that was what it was suoposed to do minus the smoking.
When DOC/DPF was serviced last time? How many miles is on the truck? What exactly the code was up?
Did you check DPF differential pressure sensor tubes are free from soot. DOC face not plugged?
Flex pipe should not expands if exhaust gas pressure is in range. What is the max EG pressure was during regeneration?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(11-09-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 )Jamescj212 Wrote:  Nobody said anything about a leaking anything to me. Like i said, i noticed it when i was running a forces regen after code was up for a ehile and unable to regen on its own during that time. I am definitely on it, knowing its wrong and i dobt feel like anybody should have to breathe in exhaust fumes. Im a little suprised she didnt say anything about it, well actually not much suprises me anymore with these people. That flex pipe was replaced in april, think i should shoot for gaskets then test again or get pipe again? That doesnt seem right already, that thing was really flexing though. I assumed that was what it was suoposed to do minus the smoking.
When DOC/DPF was serviced last time? How many miles is on the truck? What exactly the code was up?
Did you check DPF differential pressure sensor tubes are free from soot. DOC face not plugged?
Flex pipe should not expands if exhaust gas pressure is in range. What is the max EG pressure was during regeneration?
1 was in the 570's, 2 were around 1050 or so. There are many inactives, but the egr valve plug was played with(pins) and code cleared. The truck has about 720k. New dpf and egr im may., also flex pipe was replaced at same time.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.