Valve train noise
01-11-2018, (Subject: Valve train noise ) 
RE: Valve train noise
(01-11-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 )Ragindirt Wrote:  Yep know how brake functions, and yes I probably caused it to fail by applying full pedal trying to get truck back in range selected. I have a manual 10 version of KW auto, so range module is the L shaped block, no leaks. Will check pressure though. yep she sounds little bit louder now days them in the past, little rough getting into 4 and 5. She is in driveway now, dropped two loads and came home for this reason; plus I have a hell of a vibration coming through stick. Waiting on snow to pass so I can look over.

Also was wondering in another trend what would be a better option, 13 or 15; drove both in the past; spare truck I use from outfit I run under has a C15 connected to a 15, pulls my loads well enough, but I find that even in hilly terrain I can miss a few of the upper low split gears.

Got off track here was originally asking how much gear/valve train noise is typical on and 871. Seems as of late it is getting louder.
Be more than happy for someone on here with more experience to call and I'll let them listen if willing.

Engine;
If you think your top end is getting louder, I'd pop the rocker cover and make a close inspection of all components in there ASAP. This is the known weakness of these engines.

Transmission;
I'd be inclined to suggest a 13/18 speed over a 15. If you don't do a lot of soft ground or really heavy (>100k) where you need to be able to split the bottom end, then 13. The selectability of usable gears at rolling speeds is just the only way to go.
A 15 speed is just a 10 speed with deep reduction for slow moving, soft ground, site work, etc. They have their place, and IMHO, the highway is not it.
IMHO 9&10 speeds trannys are one of the greatest contributing factors to piss poor driving habits, as the rpm range between gears is large enough that becoming complacent about lugging an engine becomes so routine you don't notice you're doing it.
Having and using selectability in gear choice promotes situational awareness, and allows you to operate the engine in the optimal rpm range for either torque load or fuel efficiency for the conditions you are in at that time.

Just changed three injectors, besides a little darkest from egr shi#t, looks pretty sweet for 718k, 25k plus hours. Noise up front more in gear cover.

Inclined for a 13 myself, what I priced last January, but could not see the payout on saving at the time. Now with the spread and averaging 84K, and possible tranny job it is time.
And you are so correct about the 10 and lugging.

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Valve train noise - Ragindirt - 01-10-2018,
RE: Valve train noise - Ragindirt - 01-11-2018
RE: Valve train noise - Magard - 01-12-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.