losing coolant after overhaul
03-27-2016, (Subject: losing coolant after overhaul ) 
losing coolant after overhaul
2010 Pete 387
went with a full overhaul at Cummins in Joplin, Mo. Head, cams. ect everything but the block, & egr cooler
Truck has been running perfect..Except random coolant loss. I run all over, been up north in the snow and down south. Changed Cap, pressure test, found small leaks, but still losing a gallon this past 5000 miles. Checked insite, and regen seems to be running every 10 hrs, with good numbers..1.4, 1.7 1.5 (new dpf was put on with overhaul)

The only quirk other than coolant loss, 6,000 miles ago got EGR code while in Texas.. But it cleared when I went up to the cold weather.. Untill yesterday its back consistent (back in the warm weather)

Today after my run, I waited about 2 hrs and popped the cap to see where the level was, though I heard a sucking sound ????

Any thoughts on the coolant loss ???

& the oil gets black within 5-7000 miles after an oil change..
replyreply
03-27-2016, (Subject: losing coolant after overhaul ) 
RE: losing coolant after overhaul
(03-27-2016 )sleepy01832 Wrote:  2010 Pete 387
went with a full overhaul at Cummins in Joplin, Mo. Head, cams. ect everything but the block, & egr cooler
Truck has been running perfect..Except random coolant loss. I run all over, been up north in the snow and down south. Changed Cap, pressure test, found small leaks, but still losing a gallon this past 5000 miles. Checked insite, and regen seems to be running every 10 hrs, with good numbers..1.4, 1.7 1.5 (new dpf was put on with overhaul)

The only quirk other than coolant loss, 6,000 miles ago got EGR code while in Texas.. But it cleared when I went up to the cold weather.. Untill yesterday its back consistent (back in the warm weather)

Today after my run, I waited about 2 hrs and popped the cap to see where the level was, though I heard a sucking sound ????

Any thoughts on the coolant loss ???

& the oil gets black within 5-7000 miles after an oil change..

With the EGR active, the oil will stay black. Cummins says the CM871 has 6 lbs of soot into the oil every 45,0000 miles. I hope you have a bypass filter to keep the soot at bay, otherwise it will eat the engine up again in no time.

Pressure test the system and let it sit overnight. Look for coolant puddles and check the EGR cooler. here is a video on this...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-28-2016, (Subject: losing coolant after overhaul ) 
When everything comes apart there is almost always some leak to old hoses after. All that stress on old parts i think.
replyreply
04-15-2016, (Subject: losing coolant after overhaul ) 
Just thought I would update this, in case anyone else goes the same route -

EGR cooler was leaking.. I did the test that you showed Rawze, and it wasnt a lot, but it was long enough to clog the DOC....

lesson learned, should have just replaced the cooler when the engine was apart.

Bypass system is on its way to the house, and Im installing that before I roll again...

Thanx for the input guys !!!!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.