peterbilt 387 with ISX engine shuts down on adn off
01-29-2018, (Subject: peterbilt 387 with ISX engine shuts down on adn off ) 
peterbilt 387 with ISX engine shuts down on adn off
Long story short : my 2010 peterbilt 387 with cummins isx died on me on the road . towed to cummins shop. they charge me $450 and gave me a list of codes with 2 active codes.

code 255 fuel shutdown circuit and 2637 DOC face plugged.
and blow by #6 exhaust leak.

Anyway I disconnected the exhaust right before the DOC and headed home. On the way home at fuel bay stopped for 10 min and truck died again. any attempt to restart the truck was unsuccessful. about 5-6 hrs latter I could start the truck and drove home for another 130 miles. Since then I clean DPF, DOC, check wiring, check turbo, replaced coolant filter and coolant level sensor. I attempted to start the truck but no success. I took off the cup from fuel shut down solenoid and started the truck. engine warmed up with yellow engine light on. could not retrieve flash code. I drove it today for about 20 miles. everything seemed OK first but,
It died after few minutes of idling.
when it dies, it doesn't restart right away.
when it dies red and yellow engine lights flash several times.
truck can be restarted 10-15 minutes later but it dies after a few minutes.
when restart accelerator pedal seems not working for first several minutes.
I took off the engine breather filter to see if it makes any changes but engine died like before.

Please help me what should i do since I'm about to broke and loose my everything.
replyreply
01-30-2018, (Subject: peterbilt 387 with ISX engine shuts down on adn off ) 
RE: peterbilt 387 with ISX engine shuts down on adn off
(01-29-2018 )alborz Wrote:  Long story short : my 2010 peterbilt 387 with cummins isx died on me on the road . towed to cummins shop. they charge me $450 and gave me a list of codes with 2 active codes.

code 255 fuel shutdown circuit and 2637 DOC face plugged.
and blow by #6 exhaust leak.

Anyway I disconnected the exhaust right before the DOC and headed home. On the way home at fuel bay stopped for 10 min and truck died again. any attempt to restart the truck was unsuccessful. about 5-6 hrs latter I could start the truck and drove home for another 130 miles. Since then I clean DPF, DOC, check wiring, check turbo, replaced coolant filter and coolant level sensor. I attempted to start the truck but no success. I took off the cup from fuel shut down solenoid and started the truck. engine warmed up with yellow engine light on. could not retrieve flash code. I drove it today for about 20 miles. everything seemed OK first but,
It died after few minutes of idling.
when it dies, it doesn't restart right away.
when it dies red and yellow engine lights flash several times.
truck can be restarted 10-15 minutes later but it dies after a few minutes.
when restart accelerator pedal seems not working for first several minutes.
I took off the engine breather filter to see if it makes any changes but engine died like before.

Please help me what should i do since I'm about to broke and loose my everything.
The fuel shut off solenoid might be going bad or sticking take it off and build it backwards.....Like flip the metal plate around and the spring.... see if the truck will stay started.... Replace the solenoid

User's Signature: I stand on a square, I am always seeking light... Just old traveling man lost in the wilderness my compass is pointing me to the East!!!!
replyreply
I took off the solenoid spring and the wire going to it is disconnected. so fuel solenoid cannot be the problem. DPF/ DOC cans are clean now.
replyreply
(01-30-2018 )alborz Wrote:  I took off the solenoid spring and the wire going to it is disconnected. so fuel solenoid cannot be the problem. DPF/ DOC cans are clean now.
I always thought the wire has to be connected to solenoid to show 5v. Maybe I could be wrong.

User's Signature: I stand on a square, I am always seeking light... Just old traveling man lost in the wilderness my compass is pointing me to the East!!!!
replyreply
I had this same problem about a year ago. It took me a couple days to go thru and test all the applicable wiring. It was a bad ecm. This guys initial problem was that it died going down the road and somehow had also caused all the gauges in the dash to go dead. It would crank but nothing else worked. The priming pump also didnt work. With a new ecm everything came alive again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alborz
(01-30-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  I had this same problem about a year ago. It took me a couple days to go thru and test all the applicable wiring. It was a bad ecm. This guys initial problem was that it died going down the road and somehow had also caused all the gauges in the dash to go dead. It would crank but nothing else worked. The priming pump also didnt work. With a new ecm everything came alive again.

You can usually check this by smacking the top of the ECM hard with the handle of a large screw-driver. The flex-ribbon inside it that folds over the top of the ECM rubs through and shorts out at the top due to years if vibration. I do NOT encourage someone taking the ECM apart though. Most of the time, a person will destroy it when trying to get the cover plate off. This is because glue likes to stick to the cover plate and the ribbon board at the same time, tearing the delicate ribbon board and rendering the ECM a complete brick.

The entire circuit board is nothing but a giant, thin ribbon cable that is very easily damaged with everything printed on it...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , hhow55 , alborz , Techmech , Wiseman , the missing link
Thank you all for your comments.
Today before I crank the engine I unplugged the wires going through the firewall on drive side. I checked one by one, sprayed wire/ electronic cleaner. And tapped to the head of ECM as Rawze recommended. Then started the truck.

Unlike yesterday it never shut down on its own.
I Unplugged camshaft/ crankshaft sensors. It ran with either of them plugged in but not without the two.
I took off all the fuses and sprayed cleaner. and wiggled wires
Still engine light is on and can’t retrieve the codes.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.