A real head scratcher !!
02-19-2018, (Subject: A real head scratcher !! ) 
A real head scratcher !!
2007 kenworth t800 4 axle log truck. I was putting new brake shoes on the forward drive axle and on the passenger side I can't get the drum to slide over the shoes!! It's not the shoes because I tried a different set, same problem. It's not the drum. It looked like the spider or the s-cam bracket was bent and was holding the shoes open just enough for the drum not to go on. SO I replaced the spider and s-cam bracket. As of now it has new spider new s-cam bracket new shoes, new hardware, and the drum will NOT go on!! The only thing left that could be bent is the flange on the axle tube that the spider bolts to. But how could that be bent and nothing else is? I'm totally stumped here. I'm gonna have to have the rollers turned smaller on a lathe until I can figure this out.
replyreply
RE: A real head scratcher !!
Stupid question but are your slack adjusters backed off??
replyreply
(02-19-2018 )marek4792 Wrote:  Stupid question but are your slack adjusters backed off??

Yea backed off all the way. Lol
replyreply
(02-19-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  
(02-19-2018 )marek4792 Wrote:  Stupid question but are your slack adjusters backed off??

Yea backed off all the way. Lol
ah dang lol it could be possible you bought the bigger sized brake shoes by accident.
replyreply
Even dumber questions. Is it the correct drum or the correct shoes?? Mis marked or put in with other parts in the parts room? Are they re shoed brakes? Maybe riveted on wrong or re shoed wrong? Did you grab rockwell Q+ shoes when they should be standard Q shoes. Big time thickness difference there.
replyreply
(02-19-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Even dumber questions. Is it the correct drum or the correct shoes?? Mis marked or put in with other parts in the parts room? Are they re shoed brakes? Maybe riveted on wrong or re shoed wrong?

I thought about all of that. I switched the shoes and drum from the driver side and had the same problem.
replyreply
Just curious, did you try putting those questionable shoes on a different axle? Do the new shoes need to be arced like long ago?
replyreply
Yea I've tried different shoes and different drums all brand new stuff. They will go on the driver side so I took them off and put them on the passenger side and it won't work. I've done many many brake jobs on this particular truck and never had this problem.
replyreply
You got some pictures?

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.