Boost gauge on DD15
03-22-2018, (Subject: Boost gauge on DD15 ) 
RE: Boost gauge on DD15
(03-08-2018 )bossboy2 Wrote:  Boost Gauge PN A22-62949-004 -$36.95
Ribbon Cable PN A06-41592-007 7in. - $26.09
Unfortunately, with all the people and mechanics/techs, Detroit Diesel, that I've talked with, nobody can tell me where a port is to connect an aftermarket gauge. I just bought these items from Freightliner and will be installing them first. If there is too much delay, I already have an aftermarket gauge and will drill/tap the intake venturi. If anyone knows of a port location, please share.

I had the same problem as you since no one would know where to put it. I thought about drilling on the intake side and install an aftermarket but didn't found a good spot to put it. Have you figured something out yet? What about the one you bought from Freightliner?
replyreply
03-22-2018, (Subject: Boost gauge on DD15 ) 
(03-08-2018 )bossboy2 Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 )uncleal13 Wrote:  The engine ecm requires this to be left alone, it needs it for its own use.
The data to read from this sensor is available on the J1939 data bus.
The fastest and cheapest way to read it would be to purchase a ScanGauge D. It will show boost and many other gauges that are on the databus.
https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/
You could also just get a boost gauge from Freightliner, they just plug into the gauges databus daisy chain. But it may require the dealer to activate the gauge.

Uncleal13, is that the bus used for most eld's these days?

Basically yes. The 9 pin plug that everyone is using has both j1702 and j1939 data streams on it.
Personally I would rather the ELD was wired into the databus under the dash. On a Cascadia there are many points this can be done.
As it is my ScanGauge plug falls out about once a week on rough roads, as it does not use a locking ring to secure the connection.
I wouldn’t want to be bouncing down the highway and have my ELD connection fall off.
replyreply
03-23-2018, (Subject: Boost gauge on DD15 ) 
In the first image there is a plug on the throttle housing. Flat and round with a hex key insert right by the bracket in the back. If you have this on your truck it may be necessary to use because it's the only port I can find. As you can see I removed the CAC hose and looked inside (My God there is just no way to replace a CAC hose without mind boggling cussing, grunting, and lots of groaning). Don't allow your attachment fitting to extend too far into the housing as you'll see in the second image because the butterfly is in there. The port is shown in the second image way up on top of the pic. It's a tad misleading but the butterfly shouldn't even come close. On a side note, I did take it to Freightliner in Tuscaloosa (kudos to them for the "help") to have it removed where they used an impact with an 8mm hex because my hex key was going to break. Side note #2, that plug is supposedly metric M14x1.5 according to the guys at Parker fittings. This was just part of my OODO today. Rotate both images to the left (I give up...how do you get them upright?)

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gsain , Waterloo
03-24-2018, (Subject: Boost gauge on DD15 ) 
Ya, I'm not sure how to rotate the pic after you post. But if you turn your phone on it's side in landscape mode for pics it posts on here the right way. Other than that turn them in edit before you post.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: bossboy2
01-07-2023, (Subject: Boost gauge on DD15 ) 
Anyone ever come up with a definitive solution for this?
replyreply
01-08-2023, (Subject: Boost gauge on DD15 ) 
(01-07-2023 )Seanp1226 Wrote:  Anyone ever come up with a definitive solution for this?

Just install a gauge and sensor, what am I missing here ??

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-08-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  
(01-07-2023 )Seanp1226 Wrote:  Anyone ever come up with a definitive solution for this?

This conversation was all about where to put the sensor. Since you’re so enlightened please grace me with your knowledge as to where I should place the sensor.
replyreply
(01-08-2023 )Seanp1226 Wrote:  

This conversation was all about where to put the sensor. Since you’re so enlightened please grace me with your knowledge as to where I should place the sensor.

Use the plug he shows in the picture. He tells you what thread pitch it is and everything. If you don't have that plug I guarantee there's a spot on that piece or somewhere else where you could drill and tap a hole for a sensor.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
01-09-2023, (Subject: Boost gauge on DD15 ) 
(01-08-2023 )Seanp1226 Wrote:  

Use the plug he shows in the picture. He tells you what thread pitch it is and everything. If you don't have that plug I guarantee there's a spot on that piece or somewhere else where you could drill and tap a hole for a sensor.

Ok. Thank you for that. My truck is a 2019 and I do not have a plug. I will have to drill a hole and tap the hole to install a boost gauge.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.