Turbo sounds
03-15-2018, (Subject: Turbo sounds ) 
RE: Turbo sounds
(03-15-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  Mine has squealed for a while now. Usually if it hits 700 degrees and the boost goes over 25 psi. With almost 350k miles since I bought the truck and unknown mileage before I think it is just getting tired.

If it is screaching then re-torque the mounting bolts to 75 ft-lbs and see if they have come loose. It is most likely a gasket.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , alborz
Thank you all for your comments
I checked the turbo today, a small amount of play it has but no sign of grinding or metal to metal contacts. No play on exhaust side at all. Both sides spin freely. No sing of oil or leak observed
replyreply
Both you and Nilao are describing loose turbo mounting bolts or the gasket is bad. Torque the bolts and nuts. If they are tight then it still could be the gasket. Look for a soot line anywhere around the Turbo mounting area. It could be a very small line or soot mark and it's real hard to see behind the Turbo near the manifold. Get a mirror and a flash light to have a look see. Rawze has posted the torque spec. You definitely want to use a torque wrench on them. Or you will most likely get the exact same symptoms Nilao is describing sometime down the road.
replyreply
I've had the squealing sounding turbo three times now, all three turned out to be something else. one was missing turbo mount nut, second was split exhaust clamp back off turbo to exhaust pipe, last one was a crack inside the bellows flex pipe which was extremely loud screeching just like when turbo plate is loose in vgt. my bellows is three layers thick, so they can be a little harder to find. also when your checking exhaust bolts get a wrench on the ones you can, they can break and stay in the hole.
replyreply
(03-15-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-15-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  Mine has squealed for a while now. Usually if it hits 700 degrees and the boost goes over 25 psi. With almost 350k miles since I bought the truck and unknown mileage before I think it is just getting tired.

If it is screaching then re-torque the mounting bolts to 75 ft-lbs and see if they have come loose. It is most likely a gasket.
What bolts exactly?
Whick gazcket?
replyreply
03-16-2018, (Subject: Turbo sounds ) 
The 4 bolts that hold the Turbo to the exhaust manifold.
replyreply
03-18-2018, (Subject: Turbo sounds ) 
Mine is doing the turbo "chuff/cough"

User's Signature: Carhauling is a fickle mistress
replyreply
If you are mandated and the regen system not working properly the turbo will be trying to assist with regen doing its thing like creating more boost to get the exhaust hotter and what not, are you getting any fault codes or just abnormal sound??
replyreply
It's mandated cm 2250. No codes just sound. Also having low boost and jake brake response when oil is over 200°. Whole egr system is clean (including egrcooler etc) new sensors. Just replacedhigh pressure relief valve on fuel rail due to failing pressure test. Wondering if I have a bad injector or 2. 573k on them. Is there another injector test than just the pressure?

User's Signature: Carhauling is a fickle mistress
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.