Cpl and horsepower
03-08-2018, (Subject: Cpl and horsepower ) 
Cpl and horsepower
They made cm870's with different levels of horsepower and different CPL numbers to identify the parts right? Ok so can you take a cm870 That came from the factory set at 400 or 450 hp and make it 525 hp without changing major things like rods and pistons? What parts would need to be changed?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
RE: Cpl and horsepower
I know on the CM-871 there were two turbos. One for the smaller HP motors and a larger one for the high HP motors. I have a factory 600 hp and when we in framed it, the parts guy ordered the smaller turbo. That did not go over well, especially when it was installed. The mechanic caught it, but was overruled, the parts guy was eventually let go.
replyreply
Post your engine ser# and ask what is compatible with it if you want to stay with a factory program. Otherwise, a custom tune can be made to get it to about anything within reason you want.

More power though inevitably means less fuel efficiency and shorter engine life. Just pointing out the obvious.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-08-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Post your engine ser# and ask what is compatible with it if you want to stay with a factory program. Otherwise, a custom tune can be made to get it to about anything within reason you want.

More power though inevitably means less fuel efficiency and shorter engine life. Just pointing out the obvious.

If your just wanting the factory tune for the 870's is that available out here in the "wild" or is it a "take it to the dealer" item? And can you get these and load them yourself? I'm specifically interested in the 435hp and the 450hp so I would have both to load and test. I'm still not clear on how to get a clean factory program without going to the dealer.
replyreply
(03-08-2018 )superbug Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Post your engine ser# and ask what is compatible with it if you want to stay with a factory program. Otherwise, a custom tune can be made to get it to about anything within reason you want.

If your just wanting the factory tune for the 870's is that available out here in the "wild" or is it a "take it to the dealer" item? And can you get these and load them yourself? I'm specifically interested in the 435hp and the 450hp so I would have both to load and test. I'm still not clear on how to get a clean factory program without going to the dealer.

I would simply take it to Mr Hagg and let him tune it. If you want the Cummins factory tune, take it to Cummins or any authorized Cummins shop and they can flash it for you, not a big deal. But, if you want better fuel economy and a smoothly running motor, Mr Hagg is your man. And stay away from anything in the "wild", you are just asking for trouble. As far as HP, I have my 600hp set to 485hp and it does just fine. The fuel savings alone is worth it. How much do those trailers weigh you plan on pulling?
replyreply
Yes, you can load your own calibrations into your ECM. The program's you're going to want are cummins insite and you will need an incal disk. Both of these can be obtained through legal and non-legal means. They are all over the internet. How to use them and how you obtain them is up to you to figure out.
Once you acquire both of these things and are able to use them, as Rawze stated, just post on here what your original CPL number is and current calibration code. And we'd be more than happy to tell you which ones you can safely load to your truck.
Rawze does not allow file sharing on here. With that said other forums are great places to obtain software that you might be interested in but are very dangerous places to hook up with guys on how to properly use them and properly put things in your truck. So coming back here after you acquire these things is highly recommended.
I figured I'd warn you up front about other forums because I have a strong feeling that one way or another good or bad you will be back here again to do things the right way. Hopefully you choose the good route and not the bad. This place is a bit of a safe haven.
replyreply
Uniliever will do remote computer work in certain situations. P.M. him. If you want someone to help you out remotely.
replyreply
(03-08-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Yes, you can load your own calibrations into your ECM. The program's you're going to want are cummins insite and you will need an incal disk. Both of these can be obtained through legal and non-legal means. They are all over the internet. How to use them and how you obtain them is up to you to figure out.
Once you acquire both of these things and are able to use them, as Rawze stated, just post on here what your original CPL number is and current calibration code. And we'd be more than happy to tell you which ones you can safely load to your truck.
Rawze does not allow file sharing on here. With that said other forums are great places to obtain software that you might be interested in but are very dangerous places to hook up with guys on how to properly use them and properly put things in your truck. So coming back here after you acquire these things is highly recommended.
I figured I'd warn you up front about other forums because I have a strong feeling that one way or another good or bad you will be back here again to do things the right way. Hopefully you choose the good route and not the bad. This place is a bit of a safe haven.

Oh, I have no desire to run butchered code in my ECM. I just want to be able to load two different power/torque tunes that are correct for my truck and then compare them over time to see which work better. And thinking about this further it could be 4 or 5 different engine tunes as the torque curves were different within the same horsepower setting. Looks like the missing piece is the incal disk which must contain the engine library.
replyreply
03-09-2018, (Subject: Cpl and horsepower ) 
if you need incal, it can be downloaded from cummins official website here...
https://insite.cummins.com/downloads/incal.html

there are tools to convert the newest incal files to the older insite versons floating around the Internet if you look hard enough.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.