Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine?
03-10-2018, (Subject: Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine? ) 
Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine?
I have a truck that failed on the highway, emitting huge amount of white smoke. I picked it up with my lowboy and brought it back to my shop.

Here's what I observed:

1) Huge amount of white smoke on highway, especially when I pushed on gas
2) Antifreeze leaked out onto the hot turbo, resulting in white smoke
3) Bubbles in reservoir
4) The EGR cooler line was blown open near where the "membrane" was connecting that line to the line going to the engine block
5) When I pushed gas pedal I heard knocking type sounds like exhaust gas was leaking before the muffler would quiet it.

Anyhow. I guess the question is what to do and whether we can fix it and also whether we can fix the right things and not the wrong things.

What I am afraid of is that

1) EGR cooler failed because of something specific, some other problem,
and not just from age (340k miles)
2) Maybe bad EGR cooler caused some other problems needing to be diagnosed?

any ideas?

thanks!

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine?
What your arrow is pointing at is a sleeve that connects the egr coolant outlet to the water pump inlet. There is o-rings on both sides of that union. As far as bubbles in the coolant bottle and the knocking...blown head gasket comes to mind as does a bent rod or spun bearing. How hot did it get when the coolant loss occurred?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ichudov , Rawze , Waterloo
The MBE 4000 engines are known for having head gasket(s) issues. Might want to look into that first?

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ichudov , Waterloo
I do not know how hot it was, I know that I only drove a mile or two on the highway and maybe 4 miles total at most. Sorry.

It is not knocking now (I only start it for a few seconds). It was just a sound similar to knocking.

How would I check for blown head gasket? Water in oil?
replyreply
03-11-2018, (Subject: Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine? ) 
(03-10-2018 )ichudov Wrote:  I do not know how hot it was, I know that I only drove a mile or two on the highway and maybe 4 miles total at most. Sorry.

It is not knocking now (I only start it for a few seconds). It was just a sound similar to knocking.

How would I check for blown head gasket? Water in oil?

The best way to check for a blown head gasket, is to drop the oil pan and pressure up the coolant system, and look for coolant coming down from the liners.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , ichudov
03-11-2018, (Subject: Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine? ) 
Well, I cannot pressure test the coolant system because the line to EGR cooler is blown. I looked at the oil and it does NOT look milky.
replyreply
03-12-2018, (Subject: Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine? ) 
(03-11-2018 )ichudov Wrote:  ...
I looked at the oil and it does NOT look milky.

I am not saying or suggesting you have a head gasket issue, I am referring to your statement only here...

I don't know why so many people think that if they get coolant in their oil, it is supposed to look "milky", or that they are supposed to be able to see it. - Maybe if it is really severe?.

Anyways, I have seen engine with so much coolant in the oil that when you poke a hole in the bottom of the oil filter, water comes pouring out before the oil does,..yet you pull the dipstick and it looks perfectly fine. I.E.> there is no way in hell to determine what is mixed with your oil by looking at the dip-stick or by visual inspection of any kind unless it is so bad, it has already caused severe damage.

===

Fix the external leaks and replace the EGR cooler + bushings if necessary. FIX It THE RIGHT WAY! - Then do what others are suggesting ... Pressure test the coolant system with the pan off if you suspect more problems and ensure there is no coolant seepage into the engine. It is not rocket science,.. and there are no shortcuts if you want to do things right. - Otherwise, there is no point in screwing around with half-arssed repair methods. You will only end up with a half-arssed result.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ichudov , seldomseen
OK, this is a great idea. Thanks a lot.

1) Look at, test and fix EGR cooler if it is indeed blown.
2) Clean up all soot in the exhaust recirculation system.
3) Evaluate and replace several sensors as necessary
4) After the repairs are done, test head gasket by pressurizing the coolant system.

Thanks again.
replyreply
(03-12-2018 )ichudov Wrote:  OK, this is a great idea. Thanks a lot.

1) Look at, test and fix EGR cooler if it is indeed blown.
2) Clean up all soot in the exhaust recirculation system.
3) Evaluate and replace several sensors as necessary
4) After the repairs are done, test head gasket by pressurizing the coolant system.

Thanks again.

If the EGR cooler did leak into the egr circuits and therefore the intake, it will also need new oil. If there is a DOC and DPF, they both will need to be pulled and baked too. Coolant intrusion is a serious problem that effects many systems adversely.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.