Finally bringing Prostar home to fix....
04-05-2018, (Subject: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... ) 
RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix....
(04-05-2018 )Brock Wrote:  Peterbilt has a blown head gasket and prostar has this stupid issue..... least my western star isn't dead yet.............

There's a song about that, Two outta three ain't...ah $h!t, that's the wrong way, sorry.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Brock , snailexpress
04-08-2018, (Subject: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... ) 
Well I'm gonna pull it into the washbay at work for a bit and mess around.

Odd thing is it drove for 5 hours perfectly without stalling or losing throttle all the way here. The engine fan was on the entire way though! Fired the truck up and it's been running for 30 minutes with the fan still on, no stalling and the connection loss code is no longer showing active.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
04-08-2018, (Subject: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... ) 
K I lied! I know it sat for half a year so I shut it off to bang on the fan hub a bit incase it was seized.. ... it's happened before and was thinking the fan being on may be a separate issue....

Now it won't start! Won't click when I turn the key..... guess maybe this gives me my starting point. Damn starters in a crazy to get to spot with all this fairing.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo
04-12-2018, (Subject: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... ) 
Update: I fixed my fan issue and it was unrelated to my ecm ignition power loss. From sitting so long, there was some rust buildup I needed to take care of. I unbolted the 3 plates on the back of my 2 speed fan hub pictured here....

Then turned the ignition on so there was air going to the hub and lightly tapped it with a hammer till I felt the fan pop loose. I then got the centre ring out as shown and gave it a bit of a cleaning before putting it back together.

I should have known right away this was the problem because my fan hub was not free spinning. When I would turn my fan by hand, the hub base and pulley spun also. Before I disassembled, I confirmed there was proper air pressure getting to the hub.

Now to try and get this ecm code back so I can figure that out..........

replyreply
 Thanks given by: BobsYourUncle , fargonaz , Pd6cas2 , Kid Rock
(04-08-2018 )Brock Wrote:  Now it won't start! Won't click when I turn the key..... guess maybe this gives me my starting point. Damn starters in a crazy to get to spot with all this fairing.

Hey just a thought, your clutch switch might be acting up. It's located behind the plastic kick panel the peddles come down threw, if you slid a thin piece of medal up to the magnet you can get it to active and start... worth a try anyways

Dave
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
Well it's been running for a couple hours so I shut it off and tried to restart it...... nothing. But after I turned the keys a couple times, code 0241 came up for wheel based speed sensor erratic and the truck started. It went away after a minute so I took the truck for a couple laps around the block, the code came up and the autoshift went into nuteral.

Truck stayed running but when I shut it off, it wouldn't start back up again. Got under the truck and pressed in any transmission plug I could get my hands on and wiggled all sorts of wires, then tugged on the oem wiring harness a bit and code went away..... not sure when but I think I heard the transmission click when I was playing around with the autoshift wiring.

I'm thinking it's time to pull this entire wiring harness out of the truck and inspect it.... Or throw on that spare ecm I've got here just incase. Odd that I don't have a code for ignition power loss to ecm anymore.........

This trucks pissing me off!

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Hammerhead
Gonna try one more thing here tonight. All grounds were cleaned by my old mechanic but looking at this one here, I do not like it one bit. Met with starlight today and he mentioned the firewall grounds so I rechecked these......

These posts are on the firewall and seem to have all sorts of grounds running from/to them as well as the big black one I'm pointing at which runs down to the frame and is attached to the same bolt as the starter ground to inside of frame....

Let's hope this is my issue right here.......

replyreply
04-13-2018, (Subject: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... ) 
Update to the update

Cleaned it up and now everything seems mint. Drove it or 45 minutes with no issue at all, gonna let it cool and come back tomorrow to try again but it's looking promising.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Starlight , fargonaz , Pd6cas2 , Hammerhead
04-13-2018, (Subject: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... ) 
Those dang grounds. I got the feeling you might have it fixed. Those ground wires look pretty bad.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver , Rawze , Pd6cas2 , Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.