help with exhaust bolts
04-24-2018, (Subject: help with exhaust bolts ) 
help with exhaust bolts
I'm trying to change the exhaust gaskets between manifold and engine block. it is 2009 cummins ISX - cm 870.
Last time I tried to change the gasket the bolt broke inside the engine block and the screw extractor broke as well and took me two weeks to get the extractor out.
Now my question is anyone knows any way to get the exhaust bolt loose without breaking it ?
Thanks in advance
replyreply
04-25-2018, (Subject: help with exhaust bolts ) 
RE: help with exhaust bolts
I just use a 3/8" dewalt impact gun and impact 6-point socket and it works great. If the bolt is frozen, it will simply hammer away at it without breaking it.
https://amzn.to/2GZ2nOX

-- The problem is that sometimes they are not torqued properly when installed by someone.

If one is really tight,.. smack it with an air hammer a bit on its head before trying to loosen it. Sometimes it takes heating it with a torch first.

Some guys will use anti-sieze on the threads of the new bolts. If you do so, then only use a minimum amount. Be sure to only torque them according to the book.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks a lot Rawze for your reply.
When you talk about using heat, do you use it on bolt or engine block around the bolt?
and also I know you have formula for rusted bolts. If I remember correctly it was acetone with W.D 40 right?
replyreply
(04-25-2018 )alborz Wrote:  Thanks a lot Rawze for your reply.
When you talk about using heat, do you use it on bolt or engine block around the bolt?
and also I know you have formula for rusted bolts. If I remember correctly it was acetone with W.D 40 right?

Heat the bolt itself only.

The nut-buster formula is 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. No product on the market beats it.

You need one of these though if you want to store it in a bottle for more than a few hours..
Link: https://amzn.to/2Wl65cv

It eats up the plastic or the acetone evaporates after a few days with anything else.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alborz
./uploads/201804/post_3326_1524661784_efb2da452ef278412449e077c95844d7.jpgthanks Rawze
by ATF you mean this?
replyreply
Yes, ATF
replyreply
(04-25-2018 )alborz Wrote:  thanks Rawze
by ATF you mean this?

You can try calling the ATF but I doubt they'll help you in this situation.
./uploads/201804/post_3285_1524671820_246d8d694ebfcf040ed67941ede07782.jpeg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alborz , Roysbigtoys
LOL
When I first searched ATF, I saw this on google
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.