Oil in exhaust
05-19-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
RE: Oil in exhaust
(05-19-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Thats not a bad deal for a used engine with a parts and labor warranty. You can have it shipped in and basically undress the whole thing to make sure you don't have the same problems your dealing with now. If you do find a problem just fix it outside the truck on Vander Haags dime. That is if Vander Haags doesn't pitch a fit or just refuses to stand behind they're warranty... I would also do front gear case gaskets and rear flywheel housing gasket while its out of the truck. They are quite costly and time consuming to do in the truck.

Then you can build your other block another day and sell it or just sell it for core.

If you do buy that used engine your absolutely going to NEED your ECM REFLASHED to the new CPL #. Get ahold of Unilevers or Mommaburt on here. And maybe get rid of your soot monster(egr) at the same time.

It looks like either way you go, used or rebuild yours, your going deeper in void. That's a tough call which way to go.

Its very tempting to think about, for 10k more or less its not a bad deal to consider. i saw on those truck stop magazines that there a whole lot of companies that sell these reman engines n for cheap... low miles and all. 6 month guarantee or more depending if you want to fork over a extra grand or 2

the idea of having two engine, one being rebuilt slowly and another being used. i think that would be optimal lol. you dont have to wait as long or waste time.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
A reman motor for cheap... See my blog. http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2972

Cheap is what you get. And then you are broke. ;-)
replyreply
My buddy has 05 isx and his engine crank spun rod bearings. He went to shop and he was quoted 18-20k for overhaul.
He said thats too much , so he found online 05 used engine for $11000. He was told that engine has low miles and running fine. They swap that engine for him and week later it blew coolant hoses, exhaust in coolant also oil in the coolant reservour. And also front gear cover spitting oil arround the engine.
Now he understands he wasted that $11000 instead adding extra 10000 and driving truck no worries.
In your situation you need to do complete inframe with genuine cummins parts instead of chasing used engine which is not smart at all.
Or you can buy reman which is 25-30k.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Fixmytruck123 , hhow55 , Waterloo , snailexpress , Signature620
(05-19-2018 )simon999 Wrote:  My buddy has 05 isx and his engine crank spun rod bearings. He went to shop and he was quoted 18-20k for overhaul.
He said thats too much , so he found online 05 used engine for $11000. He was told that engine has low miles and running fine. They swap that engine for him and week later it blew coolant hoses, exhaust in coolant also oil in the coolant reservour. And also front gear cover spitting oil arround the engine.
Now he understands he wasted that $11000 instead adding extra 10000 and driving truck no worries.
In your situation you need to do complete inframe with genuine cummins parts instead of chasing used engine which is not smart at all.
Or you can buy reman which is 25-30k.
I think you hit it right on the head.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
05-20-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
You can buy a genuine cummins reman long block for about $20,000. 25-30k sound like a full turn key engine.
replyreply
05-20-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
(05-20-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You can buy a genuine cummins reman long block for about $20,000. 25-30k sound like a full turn key engine.

If I had to replace the whole engine, I would do a short block, pull it apart and counter-bore it, build it right, then put a new head on it. That is just me though.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , hhow55 , Waterloo
05-22-2018, (Subject: Oil in exhaust ) 
so today after i picked up the head from the shop, they told me that i had 3 injector cups go bad and that are leaking... great. okay, so the shop has a isx head thats remanded at the shop for 3.5k, sound reasonable? or my other option is the send the head back so they can send it somewhere else to replace all of the injector cups for $900.

also to note, the shop charges 1.5k to clean and rebuild the head, if i have to. the head was rebuilt in the last over haul, so i'm not sure if the head needs to be rebuilt all over again.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
The guys on here don't recommend using reman heads or replacing injector cups. The right way to do it is to buy a new head. If you can't afford to do that then your probably rolling the dice with any other direction you choose to go.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker , Rawze
(05-22-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  The guys on here don't recommend using reman heads or replacing injector cups. The right way to do it is to buy a new head. If you can't afford to do that then your probably rolling the dice with any other direction you choose to go.

So as the old saying goes " ill be damned if i did or didn't "

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.