Freightliner Cascadia-Davco 482
06-22-2018, (Subject: Freightliner Cascadia-Davco 482 ) 
Freightliner Cascadia-Davco 482
I noticed my Davco wasn't holding a level anymore. Went to Speedco and had the filter changed. When they poured fuel into the clear bowl, it quickly disappeared. I contacted Davco who sent me the part number for a bypass valve inside the bowl ($40 + filter) which is exclusive to the Cascadia. I replaced the valve but when charging the bowl, again the fuel disappeared. I found out these units have a check valve at the point where the fuel line enters the filter body. Piece of cake change, $20 check valve, no more air and filter works like it was intended. FYI, when I pulled the old one out, the ball that does the actual sealing had shrunk down to about 1/4", maybe 3/8" max, and was egg shaped. The new ball was appx 9/16".

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Rawze , snailexpress , fargonaz
RE: Freightliner Cascadia-Davco 482
Thanks for sharing that with everyone. Rawze

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Hmm but, fuel system should be airtight and returning line is submerged below fuel level by Cummins requirements. It means the check valve is play it's role only when you filling the bowl with fuel. After top plug is tighten fuel level should stay even without check valve.
replyreply
I seen this post earlier and wanted to wait until I could type this story out thoroughly.

Sooo....

A year or so ago a fellow O/O that works for the same company was having some issues with his truck and it was costing him his life basically. He had a 2012 Volvo VNL with a D13 in it. He was having an issue where the truck would start fine and then all of sudden just die with the fuel pressure code coming up. New filters etc would not fix the problem. He would have a hell of a time trying to start the truck back up and would crank and crank and crank and crank until the truck would finally roar to life! and would stay running all day long. ( Even though the Volvo motors have a plunger style primer that he somehow doesn't know about)

His starter finally gave in so he let the Volvo stealership work their magic and they diagnosed it as an injector cup issue (pretty common issue on pre 2017 Volvo motors) and $6000 dollars later sent the truck back to him with a new 6 pack and the issue was still there. But, problem was he decided to take the sh!tbrain mechanics advice that the issue would get better as time went on... So he went for it.

Fast forward a week or so he was back at the stealership because the issue never did get better and they suggested installing new fuel lines. $1500 later he had a new set of fuel lines and it didn't fix the issue.

They then went after the fuel pump and fuel filter bracket and it still didn't fix the problem!!

I didn't get a price on the last repair but I assume it was not cheap. By this time as he told me his story he was just fuming and distraught. We were standing next to his truck when he told me this and so I told him he should pop his hood and maybe I can see something. (I only did this because I somewhat felt bad... well not really when it comes to having work done at the stealer ship!!)

I poked around for a while just looking at his truck when I decided to to fill up his Davco 382 to aid in starting it. Immediately I noticed that it would not hold fuel at all!!... screwed off his check valve to find the ball broken in half?!? He seen this and didn't know what to say at first. I actually had a extra one in my tool box and put it back together filled the Davco with fuel which it did not go down anymore. I primed the system for him and the truck roared to life once again!! He offered to pay for the 15.00 dollar check valve and my time and I told him not to worry about it.

He did not have a problem again and did not stop thanking me enough. Crying out loud he was just thanking me once again last month. Sad thing was that the truck went back in 6 months later for a new 6 pack and cups again. Probably because the mechanic did not properly install them. At least they were still under warranty.

Sad just sad...

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo , Rawze , snailexpress , Chamberpains , bossboy2 , fargonaz

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.