New Trailer
07-31-2018, (Subject: New Trailer ) 
New Trailer
Thought I would chime in, been a long time.
We took delivery on our new trailer in May. The old Utility lasted 18 years and was retired as a storage trailer.

What a difference! Solid 1 mpg gain in fuel economy.
Averaging 7.9 mpg, 10-35k loads.
two years after Gearheads overhaul continues to impress, rock steady performance.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)
./uploads/201807/post_65_1533049590_bf3afc97fc23aa8fc658220c99d689f8.jpg

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Volvo8873 , Rawze , Nostalgic , Rounded_nut
RE: New Trailer
I know exactly what you’re talking about when it comes the fuel mileage on a new trailer . I do power only for a company and been hooked to hundreds of different trailers. This spring they took delivery of a quite a few new trailers and I’ve noticed a dramatic improvement on my fuel mileage on these trailers. I am going to be in the market next year for my own flatbed and just because of this I am going with the new trailer. Seems to me the fuel savings alone will pay for itself.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux
(07-31-2018 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  I know exactly what you’re talking about when it comes the fuel mileage on a new trailer . I do power only for a company and been hooked to hundreds of different trailers. This spring they took delivery of a quite a few new trailers and I’ve noticed a dramatic improvement on my fuel mileage on these trailers. I am going to be in the market next year for my own flatbed and just because of this I am going with the new trailer. Seems to me the fuel savings alone will pay for itself.

ABSOLUTELY!
It's the difference of pulling a sled or riding on rails.
1 mpg pays for the trailer and frees me up to focus on the tractor.

replyreply
(07-31-2018 )in2trux Wrote:  
(07-31-2018 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  I know exactly what you’re talking about when it comes the fuel mileage on a new trailer . I do power only for a company and been hooked to hundreds of different trailers. This spring they took delivery of a quite a few new trailers and I’ve noticed a dramatic improvement on my fuel mileage on these trailers. I am going to be in the market next year for my own flatbed and just because of this I am going with the new trailer. Seems to me the fuel savings alone will pay for itself.

ABSOLUTELY!
It's the difference of pulling a sled or riding on rails.
1 mpg pays for the trailer and frees me up to focus on the tractor.
P.S.
Thanks to the tax cut bill 100% can be expensed first year. We'll see come tax time how much we need to negate taxable income.
Tractor and overhaul paid off, we needed the expense item on gross revenue.
4 very long years and major stress later it's starting to yield dividends.
Next is New head, cams, injectors, clutch, reman tranny, power divider.
It never ends! Every mile has a cost.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Volvo8873

I don't know if you'll get better fuel mileage with a brand new flatbed compared to used. Box trailers get their better fuel mileage from being more aerodynamic and lighter. If you notice on in2trux pic the trailer has a wind bubble on the front instead of being flat and it probably is quite a bit lighter than older stuff. It being new means its wheel bearings have also not been molested by whatever monkey wrenched on them last.
With flatbeds they are all open freight so that's where aerodynamics go to whatever you put on. Other than that you can just find a manufacturer of a light weight trailer and get your wheel ends torqued properly and your good to go. Although the ride on them changes greatly due to different suspension's. Doing power only you probably know this quite intimately.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , Volvo8873
08-01-2018, (Subject: New Trailer ) 
Wow I really like the interior lighting! Nice set up.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.