Charge Air Cooler
08-29-2018, (Subject: Charge Air Cooler ) 
Charge Air Cooler
I suspect a leak on my CAC, waiting on the proper equipment to arrive to test this properly but in the mean time I have been looking for a new CAC so I'm ready to buy it I need one, I'm essentially posting to confirm what I already know from this site.

I've read here many testimonials on the Duralite coolers and am NOT considering one of those. The local dealer wants $2100 (canadian dollars) for the OEM Paccar CAC. Is that basically the only option? are there any aftermarket coolers that we know of that would be a suitable replacement? Anyone in western canada know of a better deal on the OEM?

2008 Kenworth T660 with CM871. MMd and demanated.

Thanks!
replyreply
RE: Charge Air Cooler
At $2100 for a new one, I would take it to a local radiator shop and see if they could patch it for a few hundred bucks and make it last a couple more years. Who knows, you might get lucky.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Matt
Shop around a bit as well. I noticed quite a variance in price depending on who I called. I know my local Savannah KW has been doing good at keeping my prices decent for me now that I'm a regular.

I juggled the duralite option too and went OEM paccar. Their engineer couldn't answer my questions...no thanks. Smelt like a wet turd to me. I wasn't about to take a big bite of it.

I didn't recore mine. I felt like my local place was trying to set me up for a big bill. Also didn't want to answer questions.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
08-30-2018, (Subject: Charge Air Cooler ) 
I bought a Duralite Eliminator for my western star from Grande Prairie Western star for around a grand. just pressure tested it today after a year and doesn't leak at all. .. not even a drop. they claim the eliminator is built to oem flow specs but has the toughness of the Duralite Evolution.

I don't know details or specs, just know mine works great and it's taken a beating on these logging roads.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
I called my local rad shop and they had a hard time picking up what I was laying down in terms of testing a CAC on the truck. Told me the only way to test one is to submerge it in a water tank to see the leaks. He didnt seem confident that it would be repairable.

I just looked up that Eliminator, Brock. Interesting. No grommets. I wonder if it matches the same amount of tubes and tube size compared to the OEM.

If it did it would stand to reason that it should flow the same as OEM, no?
replyreply
I would try Rawze's suggestion on the radiator shop. I was in one last year, the owner told me he could clean one out, patch it, do what ever I wanted him to do for a couple of hundred bucks and it would be just like new. I would seriously consider doing that before dropping over two grand for something you know is going to be beat to hell in short order.

Of course, this was after I replaced mine...
replyreply
I would absolutely not take one to a radiator shop. Unless their guarantee included they rip the SOB back out and replace it when it fails. If your gonna walk that road for need of a temporary fix, take it to a certified weld shop or someone that works with repairing fuel tanks. They have more knowledge and skill with aluminum. But if they're like my local guy in the NE he wont guarantee it. He'll weld it but will tell you its gonna fail. By the time a seam cracks or theres a puncture from gravel or bugs usually there are numerous other places that its been weakened. Bite the bullet, shop around, maybe make friends with some one that travels to the states and have it transported in and just replace it.
replyreply
Being cheap often costs you $. Buy good quality replacement parts that the manufacturer stands behind. I know Duralite has different coolers for specific applications. Depending on what you do they may have one that will work better. Years ago I had the cooler on my T800 fixed. New core welded between the tanks. Guy in Edmonton did it. Less $ than Duralite and had some warranty.

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
(08-29-2018 )Matt Wrote:  I suspect a leak on my CAC, waiting on the proper equipment to arrive to test this properly but in the mean time I have been looking for a new CAC so I'm ready to buy it I need one, I'm essentially posting to confirm what I already know from this site.

I've read here many testimonials on the Duralite coolers and am NOT considering one of those. The local dealer wants $2100 (canadian dollars) for the OEM Paccar CAC. Is that basically the only option? are there any aftermarket coolers that we know of that would be a suitable replacement? Anyone in western canada know of a better deal on the OEM?

2008 Kenworth T660 with CM871. MMd and demanated.

Thanks!

Hey Matt,
Call Edmonton KW and Great West KW in Calgary for quotes.
I just bought an OEM CAC for my T800 wide hood and it was CA$2100.00, so a standard hood version should be less. They're more common, and much smaller.
CTS KW has had it too good for too long, they need some in province competition like AB to smarten them up.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.