Give me your thoughts on this truck
04-26-2016, (Subject: Give me your thoughts on this truck ) 
Give me your thoughts on this truck
I have a new job opportunity, and want your thoughts on this piece of equipment.

2009 International PayStar 5900 SBA 6x4 Day Cab Tractor; Cummins ISX 15 Liter Diesel w 525 hp; 395,000 miles on the ODO; Fuller 13 Speed Transmission; Conventional Cab w Eagle Interior; Full Gauge Pkg; Air Ride Suspension; Air Brakes; Power Steering; Engine Brake; 58,000 lb GVW; 18,000 lb Front Axle; 46,000 lb Rear Axle; 210 inch Wheelbase; 4.10 Rear End Ratio; Steel Wheels; /315 Tires; AirSlide 5th Wheel; Double Lockers; 200 Gallon (100 + 100) Diesel Fuel Capacity $69,000

This new opportunity is in construction. We have several huge construction projects kicking off in the coming few months. Projects that are scheduled to last up to twenty years in some cases. I have a line on a quad axle dump, which I will need to purchase. The pay is running $100 an hour as a lease op, and I have friends already at these companies working, so I have an in. And yes, I have operated a dump trailer. Typical load weight in the dump is 100,000 lbs. Normally crushed concrete.

I found the above tractor yesterday. It looks pretty good, good rubber and brakes, has a new clutch, bell housing gasket, EGR Cooler and the air compressor head has been replaced. It will need new torque rod bushings x 2 on the rear end and pin bushings in the suspension x 4 along with fixing a leak in the exhaust. It had a wet kit installed, but it was removed, that will need to be installed. The motor sounds solid, but will still test the head gasket. ;-) And of course the mandate needs to go. The cab interior looks barely used, everything works, and is still air tight when you close the door. The frame has been blasted and repainted along with the cab. The truck has been sitting for nearly a year and the owner of the dealer has told the salesman to get rid of it.

The asking price is a bit to much in my book, this is a bare bones truck, nothing fancy in the least. But, I cannot find anything comparable in the PayStar line to compare prices. I'm thinking of hitting them at $48,000 and go from there. What are your thoughts on this truck and the price? I will be paying cash if I can get it low enough or will walk away. I'm not in love with this thing. And give me your thoughts on the hourly wage too. This is all local work, average length of haul is under ten miles. Construction is a new racket for me, on paper it looks like it will work. I will not be the only driver, and still have my ProStar with the fresh motor.

The goal here is to purchase more equipment and get drivers in the trucks.
replyreply
RE: Give me your thoughts on this truck
(04-26-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I have a new job opportunity, and want your thoughts on this piece of equipment.

2009 International PayStar 5900 SBA 6x4 Day Cab Tractor; Cummins ISX 15 Liter Diesel w 525 hp; 395,000 miles on the ODO; Fuller 13 Speed Transmission; Conventional Cab w Eagle Interior; Full Gauge Pkg; Air Ride Suspension; Air Brakes; Power Steering; Engine Brake; 58,000 lb GVW; 18,000 lb Front Axle; 46,000 lb Rear Axle; 210 inch Wheelbase; 4.10 Rear End Ratio; Steel Wheels; /315 Tires; AirSlide 5th Wheel; Double Lockers; 200 Gallon (100 + 100) Diesel Fuel Capacity $69,000

This new opportunity is in construction. We have several huge construction projects kicking off in the coming few months. Projects that are scheduled to last up to twenty years in some cases. I have a line on a quad axle dump, which I will need to purchase. The pay is running $100 an hour as a lease op, and I have friends already at these companies working, so I have an in. And yes, I have operated a dump trailer. Typical load weight in the dump is 100,000 lbs. Normally crushed concrete.

I found the above tractor yesterday. It looks pretty good, good rubber and brakes, has a new clutch, bell housing gasket, EGR Cooler and the air compressor head has been replaced. It will need new torque rod bushings x 2 on the rear end and pin bushings in the suspension x 4 along with fixing a leak in the exhaust. It had a wet kit installed, but it was removed, that will need to be installed. The motor sounds solid, but will still test the head gasket. ;-) And of course the mandate needs to go. The cab interior looks barely used, everything works, and is still air tight when you close the door. The frame has been blasted and repainted along with the cab. The truck has been sitting for nearly a year and the owner of the dealer has told the salesman to get rid of it.

The asking price is a bit to much in my book, this is a bare bones truck, nothing fancy in the least. But, I cannot find anything comparable in the PayStar line to compare prices. I'm thinking of hitting them at $48,000 and go from there. What are your thoughts on this truck and the price? I will be paying cash if I can get it low enough or will walk away. I'm not in love with this thing. And give me your thoughts on the hourly wage too. This is all local work, average length of haul is under ten miles. Construction is a new racket for me, on paper it looks like it will work. I will not be the only driver, and still have my ProStar with the fresh motor.

The goal here is to purchase more equipment and get drivers in the trucks.

Looks like an x fleet truck that's been cleaned up and has pulled heavy weight and way over priced should be 40-45. Just saying
replyreply
I'd also check auction prices those trucks with those specs have sold for in the last few weeks.

It formerly ran a pto right? Curious the hours on it idling. Maybe I missed that specific

Unless it comes with ball lickers under the front seat from Heidi Fleiss, I'd pass on that truck.
replyreply
I paid 44k on a 2011 prostar. Was a fleet truck with a shutoff timer so the idle hours were low. had 502k on the odometer. So for a daycab I would expect it to be less, especially with high pto hours which I'm sure it has.
replyreply
04-27-2016, (Subject: Give me your thoughts on this truck ) 
395 k miles , but how many hrs on motor , just a thought but have u ever consider a mack for that kind of work the granite with a mp8 or titan with a mp10 , i have driven an worked on both them an i will tell u i am impressed with the vovlo / mack mp8 an mp10 engines the trucks are pretty stout also , i would buy nothing older then a 09 , 08 was first year for the mp series .most fault codes u can axis through the dash then look up in the book or find on line, there is also the software u can buy for a lap top to get in even deeper
replyreply
Thank's guys. Yes, I figure this truck is $40,000 at the most. It is getting hard to find these units with these axles, and that is the reason these guys are pricing these particular trucks with some stupid numbers.

And yes, a Ryder truck that pulled a tanker. Wet kit was removed, and it did pull heavy, I can see that on the suspension bushings. And I have yet to check the hours on the motor. We just started looking, and I will check the auctions. Thanks guys!
replyreply
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Use...d=cummins+

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Have you given thought to buying a sleeper truck, yank the sleeper off, then when your project is completed you can put it back on

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(04-27-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  Have you given thought to buying a sleeper truck, yank the sleeper off, then when your project is completed you can put it back on

Yes, I have thought of finding something with a coffin sleeper. The issue with the equipment that is needed to do this job are the axles. I need an 18,000 lb steer and a 46,000 rear. We call them Michigan Specials up here, due to our high weight limits allowed on our roads. They are not the easiest trucks to find, and with the upcoming work, are getting harder to find and are rising in price.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.