that time of year
05-07-2016, (Subject: that time of year ) 
that time of year
Well it's that time of the year when you start to hit the a/c switch and hope it work's....
So i hit mine the other day and...... Nothing but hot air..%^&*#@!!!! Well i guess when they put the new motor in(feb. very cold) they didn't think of charging it up :s So i started to look into it instead of just charging it up i thought i'd do a little tune up on it.
as it seem to be running off a bit heat wise that is,not blowing like it should,bla,bla,.....
So started to dig into it,pulled off the cover that hold's the blower motor and the hamster wheels (this is a 900L) not to bad a little dusty:blush: But when i looked in to the evaporator OMFG!!! it was 1/3 covered with just sh#t and i always had a filter on it. and then spotted that it had a crack in the lines. looks like someone had used it to stand on.(damn windshield guy) so out it came. But i still could not beleave the amount of crap that was built up in there. had to clean the heater core too :waaaht: but after installing the new evaporator(and some new screw's:@) all is up and running factory fresh :big_smile2:
So if you feel that your a/c is not what it use to be don't just toss in some 134 into it,you might want to look deeper:blush:
replyreply
05-07-2016, (Subject: that time of year ) 
RE: that time of year
It is a good time of year to clean your radiator and condenser with an alkaline cleaner and a garden hose.
./uploads/201605/post_2010_1462710835_ea608b5add5620b1b51a0c3aa45ebcaf.jpg
Something like this https://www.zoro.com/nu-calgon-condenser...i/G3752673
replyreply
05-08-2016, (Subject: that time of year ) 
Funny you should mention this. I had noticed that mine wasn't blowing as cold as it should have. So i planned to take it somewhere and get it "refilled." But then just after delivering the other day, I noticed a smell when I was leaving the customer. Then I saw smoke coming out the back and then could hear a hiss. I immediately pulled over and popped open the hood. All of the freon and lube was blowing out of the back of the compressor. Dang!

But then I remembered you guys. Ordered a new compressor off of Amazon, a manifold set, couple of cans of R134A which come with the can piercer, looked at a YouTube vid and I will do it myself. Yup. Laaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwd a mercy! I hope you guys are rooting for me.
replyreply
The AC High Pressure Switch (sensor) is supposed to prevent the system from reaching over 500psi where the protection valve opens and blasts your r-134a out the back of the compressor. I would replace the High Pressure Switch, drier can, and the condenser(since they cannot be flushed very well).
./uploads/201605/post_2010_1462709643_d7f569c4e0fda3aa00b7ff5823528e75.jpg

Flush the rest of the system with Acetone or AC Flush, blast clean dry air thru it, assemble and lubricate new O-rings before install, then refill.

There should be a sticker under the hood probably near the passenger side radiator, AC Compressor, or Drier Can that specifies the type and amount of Refrigerant and PAG Oil. PAG oil absorbs moisture from the air, so keep bottle and system closed and assembled as much as possible.

Last of all, do not overcharge the system, that won't make it colder.
replyreply
A little note, these new AC condensers cannot be flushed, they need to be replaced. The condenser is the radiator thing stuck up in front of the radiator for those that do not know. The passages in those are to small to flush debris out like the old style condensers. It is now a throw away piece. Shop around for these, as they vary in price by quite a bit.
replyreply
(05-08-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  Funny you should mention this. I had noticed that mine wasn't blowing as cold as it should have. So i planned to take it somewhere and get it "refilled." But then just after delivering the other day, I noticed a smell when I was leaving the customer. Then I saw smoke coming out the back and then could hear a hiss. I immediately pulled over and popped open the hood. All of the freon and lube was blowing out of the back of the compressor. Dang!

But then I remembered you guys. Ordered a new compressor off of Amazon, a manifold set, couple of cans of R134A which come with the can piercer, looked at a YouTube vid and I will do it myself. Yup. Laaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwd a mercy! I hope you guys are rooting for me.

You will need a new condenser too if you have metal in the system. Along with the dryer, expansion valve, etc... Best to flush the system after the old condenser and compressor is removed. Wash out all of the lines with the proper cleaner/flush. You should also replace the high pressure switch up front by the CAC on the AC line. That is more than likely your culprit not reading the temp/pressure properly. That is what we tracked it down to when my compressor made a routine of blowing itself apart like yours. Also inspect that high pressure line that runs up towards the CAC/radiator. That line is known to fail due to its positioning under the hood on some models. If it is suspect, replace it.

Also, do not forget to replace your cab air filters, there are usually two, one at the front and one in the sleeper. If they are paper, they really need to be changed at every oil change.
replyreply
The important thing is good air flow through the condenser and evaporator. Phosphoric acid (Mag wheel cleaner) is what we use to clean the aluminium fins.
A fin brush to straighten any bent fins is handy to straighten any damaged spots.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
And wait there's more! :) i just couldn't resist doing that... But if you are digging into your a/c and replacing parts and opening it up after you reassemble MAKE sure you have or put a vacuum on it for at lest 1/2 hr or more,depending on what you replace. and make sure if you take it to a shop that they do that. as some place's just want you in and out of the way,and will half ass it. That will cause bigger problem's down the road. and you know that means more wasted $$ and time.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.