DD13 recurring code SPN 4364 FMI 18
02-16-2019, (Subject: DD13 recurring code SPN 4364 FMI 18 ) 
DD13 recurring code SPN 4364 FMI 18
I bought a Cascadia with a DD13 a few months back. Every week or two I keep getting the SPN 4364 FMI 18 code. It only seems to come on when loaded heavy, pulling a grade or in a hard wind and when it’s cold. The first time I had it come on I went to a shop and they changed the NOX sensor. The second time I went they were going to change a sensor until I told them it had a new one. They said they did three regens including a low temp regeneration, because things weren’t looking quite right on the diagnostic computer. They charged me 825 dollars for the regens. After that I just bought a handheld I can check and clear codes and do forced regens. I clear that code out when it comes up. I’m just curious if anyone knows what could be the problem. If I don’t stop and clear it right away it goes into historical codes and not current. The light on the dash has to be shut off every time with the computer. It stays on even if the code isn’t active. The dealer said the DPF might need cleaned and is causing the code. Thanks for any help you might give.
replyreply
RE: DD13 recurring code SPN 4364 FMI 18
What year and mileage?
What kind of temperatures have you been driving in ?
Are you using a winter front? Factory one or custom one?
That code is a catch all code for low NOx efficiency which can be caused by a lot of different things. The worse one being a worn SCR catalyst requiring a new One-Box, not cheap.
You did say when it’s cold. Detroit constantly says not to use a winter front on these new engines, and yet all trucks I’ve bought come with one. Lately I have discovered, and confirmed with others experience, that the winter front is required in extreme cold.
Down to about -20C (-05F) it is not needed at all, somewhere under that the One-Box cannot get up to a high enough temperature for the NOx conversion to function properly. I get the code you got, or a code for poor DEF quality (I confirmed with a refractometer that it was good). So I put on the factory winter front and everything works as it should.
We had several days down to -40 the other week, -30’s this week and I was good.
DO NOT use a winter front that completely blocks off the air flow.
If the code has gone away the MIL light will clear on its own after a day or two.
replyreply
the aftertreatment systems on those are made by cummins. - It is well known that the NOx sensors are only good for about 200k miles before they start to read wrong. - Also, if the chemicals get washed out/weak in the DOC or SCR element, you will get those codes.

I don;t work on DD's so this is all speculation.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The warmest I’ve had it come on is 30 degrees. It’s usually in the teens when it does it. I don’t have a winter front. I’ll try and put a piece of cardboard behind the radiator next time it’s cold and see how it goes.
replyreply
02-17-2019, (Subject: DD13 recurring code SPN 4364 FMI 18 ) 
That’s not cold enough to worry about it.
Codes coming on during a hard pull. I wonder if it needs a DEF awning kit?
But it’s all speculation without hooking up the computers.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.