HEST light on too often...
05-16-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
RE: HEST light on too often...
./uploads/201605/post_1367_1463430455_94f348c651c3fa40deefa2bc25bcb830.jpg

Here is my history. seems to be doing a regen every 2 hours....

./uploads/201605/post_1367_1463430486_8b7768febbd09902e0775ec55be48ed1.jpg

Here is my history after my regen. The differential dropped drastically so let's hope it helps out.

Regen started at 1:38pm
Doser on at 2:05pm
Inlet and outlet above 1000 2:10am
Regen complete 2:18pm

Besides taking almost a half hour to fire the injector, all went well. the inlet and outlet temps were above 550 so I don't know what took so long to start.
replyreply
(05-16-2016 )Brock Wrote:  Here is my history. seems to be doing a regen every 2 hours....

Here is my history after my regen. The differential dropped drastically so let's hope it helps out.

Regen started at 1:38pm
Doser on at 2:05pm
Inlet and outlet above 1000 2:10am
Regen complete 2:18pm

Besides taking almost a half hour to fire the injector, all went well. the inlet and outlet temps were above 550 so I don't know what took so long to start.

Check your below turbo flex pipe and V-clamps down to the doc for leaks or cracks. Its may cause the after treatment fuel ignite too early, clogging your 7th injector and the doc face
(Rawze's book)
replyreply
(05-16-2016 )Brock Wrote:  Here is my history. seems to be doing a regen every 2 hours....

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!---- That regen history looks HORRIBLE! --- ANYTHING ABOVE 3.0 is not good!!! --- you have some plugging issues and/or a failing Doser injector. Driving around with 5+ all the time can shorten the life of the injectors and pistons. 8+ can burn through valves or crack pistons!,.. you are not far from this point!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-16-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!---- That regen history looks HORRIBLE! --- ANYTHING ABOVE 3.0 is not good!!! --- you have some plugging issues and/or a failing Doser injector. Driving around with 5+ all the time can shorten the life of the injectors and pistons. 8+ can burn through valves or crack pistons!,.. you are not far from this point!.

i was gonna say, i hate to tell you this bud but your done. that filter is plugged and is most likely beyond cleaning now. hell 3 is plugged and i see 5.5's and higher in yours every 2 hours.

decision time!
replyreply

I just did a egr tuneup including a new doser. this is the first forced regen I have done since.

What I want to know now is my last regen went down to .9

That would mean all is well?
replyreply
(05-16-2016 )Brock Wrote:  

I just did a egr tuneup including a new doser. this is the first forced regen I have done since.

What I want to know now is my last regen went down to .9

That would mean all is well?

.9 is a acceptable number, hell 3.0 is a acceptable number. if it stays lower you may have snuck through, but experience tells me that this is not usually the case.
replyreply
05-19-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
How old is the doc and dpf? What happens after time is the doc doesn't work as well anymore and these problems will happen. Also your motor may not be running great and causing this problem. Undo the exhaust pipe right before the dpf and snap the throttle and have someone watch for smoke. If it smokes that dpf will never stay clean.
replyreply
05-20-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
From my own personal experience, the parked or forced regen will almost always do better than a passive regen.
But passive regen is the one to pay attention to.
You need to see how often it's doing its thing on its own and what are the numbers. Also, is it asking for a regeneration or is it doing it by itself.
Just last week I worked on a truck that was doing a regen nearly every hour or two. What happened was he had a bad harness on the dpf and every time he hit a bump, the regen would interrupt. It would regen just enough to keep up untill the next time but never completed a full cycle. His numbers were pretty high too. We replaced the harness and problem solved.
One other thing I see is the catilest temps are pretty high I like to see that number around 5 to 6 hundred. What that tells me is that filter is probably toast or at the very least needs cleaning. Also, the doc outlet temp is not in sink with the doc inlet temp,again, may need cleaning at the very least.
Most of the time if doc temp goes over 1160 on most trucks,it will fail regen so watch for that. It's a indication that the doc temp sensor is bad or maybe the doser is over fueling or the turbo is out of calibration.
That's my advice for now, hope it helps.
replyreply
06-20-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
I've got a laptop with insite up and running now so it's time to figure this out....

Whenever I slowed down ad the exhaust temp light came on, I would get white smoke from under the hood. smelled like diesel. .. one of my exhaust gaskets for the doser was rotten out so I replaced it. bo smoke but problem still exists.

I'm wondering if the exhaust and constant regen may be related to the vgt code I am getting and am curious about what dbl overdrive said about the sensors...

I've got 2 questions.

To test if the sensors were causing issues from loose connection as stated... could I run a regen and wiggle wires to see if it cuts out anything?

Can I test the vg calibration with the actutor on the turbo? I've seen the videos on how to calibrate it but was wondering if there's any way to know if the calibrations the issue before removal? or do you just start from scratch...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.