HEST light on too often...
06-26-2016, (Subject: HEST light on too often... ) 
RE: HEST light on too often...
I would verify you have the correct calibration .Also, the most up to date cal as well.
30 psi can be a silent derate and 20 is for sure but you need to be under full load to know.There is a way to monitor silent derate in insite maybe someone here can chime in on that. Boost on a healthy engine will normally be about 38 to 40.
The turbo could be so clogged with soot that it won't allow the vanes to move freely. Have you tested injectors yet? Or cylinder cutout test?
replyreply
Now that I'm driving with insite connected, I can see a few things that I never would have known before.

Loaded my max boost/manifold pressure according to insite is about 35psi

when the turbo code comes up command is 72% and actual is 54%. it is dead on with each other until 1750rpm and only when loaded and pulling hard, then it splits, throws a code, shifts gears and code goes away.

egr is disabled while code is up.

I idled for a hour while loading and the second I hit the highway, it started a active regen and this made me realize something. I am a regional driver who's rarely on a long stretch without slowing down to change highways or go through a town or construction zone. This active regen would not have finished had I not blown through a closed construction zone because I wanted to see how long the burn would go.

5.1hg final number. my egr differential was low, always below 1.5 but it was my dpf differential pressure that was usually above 4hg most of the burn when undetermining load.

I'm going to stop in a bit and run a cut out but this thing purrs like a kitten and pulls like a locomotive so I don't see a injector being off.
replyreply
70 miles after it finished it's active regen...... it says SCR catalyst warmup, the doser injector is turned on and I'm running 950+ temps...

Injector cutout was good.

pulled in for fuel, quick injector cutout test, hit highway and instant regen..... now I know it isn't just regens starting because they were interupted, something is causing constant regen. ..

Time to start checking off rawzes list.
replyreply
Need to fix that turbo as it's the item coding and disabling the regens. And as Rawze has said with pressures in the 5's your running on borrowed time.
replyreply
I've never had much luck with the cutout test unless it was somthing real bad wrong on that cylinder.
Nearly every truck I've bubble tested that has had regen issues on has failed that test with at least one bad injector.
Dose the actuator catch up to the turbo position or are they just allways that far apart.
I think it's great that you are fixing your problems on that truck befor trying anything else if ya know what I mean.
I promote other options but prefer helping drivers fix it first. Sounds like you are on the right path.
replyreply
the command and actual numbers are bang on u til I hit 1750 rpm, then they split and the light comes on. at 1800 the truck shifts, the numbers go back together and the code is gone. only when loaded.

I don't have a pyro but the insite calculated numbers show me between 1300 and 1500 during this time.

I'm hauking 140k so my temps run higher.
replyreply
I've got to say, this motor and this prostar aren't too bad at all.. besides the crap I'm trying to fix now.....

I'm getting 4.2mpg hauling 140,000lbs and that includes 3 hours a day idle time and 7 regens a day!!!

I can't wait to see what this thing can do when I get this all figured out and taken care of.
replyreply
Just did the calibration on my actuator. passed both install and calibration.

What I did notice, in the couple YouTube videos of this... the turbo lever lineup hole is never all the way to the one side... but a little off from it.

My alignment hole is all the wat to the right as far as it will go. turbo is new and the lever moves very nicely, it doesn't feel.like it's hung up on the right side or anything....

guess we'll see what happens when I drive it tomorrow

Let me know if the lever being like that seems right or not....
replyreply
Did a very thorough exhaust inspection. not a leak to be found, but I didn't expect to find one see if as my last manual regen took just over 30 minutes to do and the last one took over a hour when I had a bad exhaust doser gasket.

Maybe the bad regens when I had the exhaust leak just plugged the filter up to the point I need it baked again.

I'm running out of ideas haha
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.