Rapid blinking CEL, only @ idle?
03-20-2019, (Subject: Rapid blinking CEL, only @ idle? ) 
Rapid blinking CEL, only @ idle?
Question on a 13 Cascadia w/ISX... My truck has an auto-shutdown when idling too long (not sure of the interval, but it seems to be 5min or less). Very rarely do I ever let it idle. Most of the time I bump the idle from 650 to 8-900 if for some reason I have to get out with the truck running. The oil press will come up 10+ lbs easily (typically 23-24 @ hot idle, 35+ when rpm bumped up). Here's my question...

- Have any of you with the auto-shutdown feature, in a Cascadia, noticed a rapid blinking CEL (picture of the eng with the word "check", at the upper left corner of the cluster) just before shutdown?

This may not be what it is, but as soon as a touch the throttle, the light will go out. Insite has no recorded event and it only seemed to occur the 2 times I jumped out and didn't bump the idle (again after a few minutes, not right away). At first I thought it was a low oil pressure warning, but then I got to thinking maybe this is the warning just before the auto-shutdown...a countdown just before the engine actually cuts off?

I skimmed through the owner's manual but did not see any info regarding this.

Thanks everyone.
replyreply
RE: Rapid blinking CEL, only @ idle?
I can tell you that is what Peterbilts do(from '07 -'11 anyway). It usually indicates about 10-20 seconds before shutdown.

If you have access to Insite, it can be disabled.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
Z....Appreciate the response! That's what I assumed it was, especially since there was no recorded event within the ECM. It doesn't bother me since the truck rarely sits at idle.

Thanks again!
replyreply
It's a freightliner thing for the check engine light to flash before the idle shutdown kicks in, but if you press and hold the shutdown override when this is happening the light will rapid blink then disappear allowing you to idle indefinitely.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
03-21-2019, (Subject: Rapid blinking CEL, only @ idle? ) 
Just to close out this thread, I timed the Rapid CEL and it is indeed a warning just before the auto-shutdown.

marek....I don't see an override, but if I set the idle a bit higher with the cruise control, it will stay a that point as long as I need it to.

Thanks for the replies!
replyreply
03-22-2019, (Subject: Rapid blinking CEL, only @ idle? ) 
This happens regardless of the truck make. Absolutely nothing to be worried about, only a warning that it's about to idle shutdown.

Just for reference while we're at it:
Blinking check engine light after startup - Maintenance fault code (low coolant, water in fuel, etc)
Solid check engine light - Active fault code.
Solid stop engine light - Active serious fault code (Low oil pressure, high coolant temp, accelerator circuit, etc)
Flashing stop engine light - Engine will shut down in 30 seconds (very low oil pressure, very low coolant, very high coolant temp, etc)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , SquareOne , Waterloo , ZeroNthedark
03-22-2019, (Subject: Rapid blinking CEL, only @ idle? ) 
Sig620, very good info.....thanks for sharing it. Can never have enough knowledge, especially on these rigs.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.