Another big red headache
03-22-2019, (Subject: Another big red headache ) 
RE: Another big red headache
Heres the Overhaul and Turbo replacement paperwork the turbo one reads like a circus clown act.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
03-22-2019, (Subject: Another big red headache ) 
last page of Turbo

and watching rawze's rebuild video where the pulled the hood and shows his CAC...thats tiny compared to the one on the Lonestar my Lonestar CAC is bigger than his AC condensor. granted my radiator is twice the size of prostar to and also goes up behind CAC.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
03-23-2019, (Subject: Another big red headache ) 
Well pressurized cac to 20 PSI with my home brew pvc cac tester only found a super small leak on outbound boot of cac that I could stop by putting my finger on that area of boot.

I will be buying all new boots there was some chaffing on inside of all the boots.

Couldn't test intake to head as I don't have a cap for air compressor coupling.
replyreply
03-24-2019, (Subject: Another big red headache ) 
If you have 1.1 million miles on the CAC, I bet it is time for a new one... Mine looked and tested fine, but I was still having MPG issues and I could see that the turbo boost was not acting correctly. I did all of the tests, I have the tools here at the house... My only conclusion was that the CAC was long in the tooth and it was time. $1030.00 later at the International Dealer... I installed myself in the driveway with a few minutes help from my neighbor. Call around and get the best price from the dealers, they have some room on these CACs to negotiate price. And take your old one with you, as there is a core deposit.

Mine was a new unit, at least that is what I was told and what the paperwork stated, but who knows, but it did solve my problems.

And I would replace the hood shock while you are in there, I ordered one from Michigan Truck Parts up in Saginaw for $79 shipped to the house. The Stealer wanted around $175 for a new one. FleetPride probably carries them too.
replyreply
03-24-2019, (Subject: Another big red headache ) 
my dual hood shock unit is still in good shape and the hood stop cable isnt mounted to my CAC like prostars my CAC is mounted by itself infront of my 5 foot tall radiator.

at 20 PSI and basically silent outside i only heard the small leak on boot which in about 10 years i would probably never hear.

Im beginning to think i need to rebuild my air compressor as it makes a good amount of noise when making air pressure and have my 1.1mil head replaced especially since ive got some valve stem seals leaking oil.

here is a picture of how my Rad/CAC/Condensor is setup. so i dont get the hood bounce issues.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201903/post_3856_1553449432_ac739b5c06a772bc5a609df3d366342d.jpg
replyreply
03-27-2019, (Subject: Another big red headache ) 
Is it possible for the air compressor to be losing boost but not to the crankcase cuz I don't have any existential oil leaks except for the jake brake pass-through into the head. and I've been chasing a knock that I thought was in the motor but lately my air compressor has been knocking in the morning when I start the truck up and fill the tanks. And is an air compressor knock caused by the head or by the whole assembly just wondering if I can just replace the head or rebuild the whole thing
replyreply
my air compressor started to knock when it got about 800k miles on it. - I simply replaced the whole thing, simply because I did not want problems that could put me on the side of the road.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
This is a problem I had on my 2250. Had a pretty bad boost leak right at full 36 psi. Ended up putting a boost leask tester on the turbo intake and gave it compressed air whis then I found the air compressor headgasket to be leaking.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
Well I suppose it might be time for that the air compressor is still painted red and I don't think the detail company that detailed truck painted it because the power steering pump is still aluminum colorand I don't think a small fleet would have taken the time to paint a new air compressor.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.