Excess blowby
06-19-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
RE: Excess blowby
Here is how I do it...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-20-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
(06-19-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Here is how I do it...
I see why you do it that way Rawze, to monitor the turbo/manifold/metal temps so you can drive for fuel economy. If I was in the same boat, I would do the same thing.
I on the other hand, am in the burning dinosaurs business...I run exclusively heavy haul. I'm geared 4.33 rear ends, and am 64-78k empty depending on trailer configuration and I run from 150-190,000 loaded. Needless to say my fuel mileage would require a moment of silence in your household.
I am un-mandated, but I don't know the exact tune I have. Unilevers and I have discussed it, and we will be reviewing it when I am able to get a solid internet connection or am able to drop by to see him.
While you freight haulers blow my doors off on the hills, I find the gear I can pull that hill in, cut it back half a hole, kick on the fan, and try dodging you maniacs while I crawl my way up. I am concerned with damaging heat temps from long durations and I'm from the great white north, now with all of that being said would you still advise an external clamping, over drill/tap install? And once again the why?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Personally, I would still mount it like in my videos, but that is just me. I want to know how much heat has soaked into the devices more-so than what is moving through, simply because with my own tunes, I know that the combustion temps are not being exceeded. Also, turning on the engine fan and watching the external temps drop 100 degrees, cools all the components and extends their life. It is not the fan "fooling you". It allows for higher internal temps. Think about the piston liners as an example .... No water and they will not last 30 seconds,.. but with water on the OUTSIDE of them,.. and they go a million miles.

It is all a balance of heat, and what you do with it to dissipate it. My opinion is -- Who cares what the internal gas temp is as long as you know it is always in spec,.... It is now only a matter of how hot the components are and how much their lifespan will be shortened by their actual metal temps. -- You can put 1600 degrees into the back of your turbo and NOT melt anything,.. but 2 minutes later,.. when that casing gets to 1,000 + degrees and starts to glow red,.. NOW you are in trouble, but not until you have reached that point.

This is just my own personal take on it,.. I have worked with a lot of people who have constant high engine loads on ISX engines in the past.

Personally, I think if your average engine load is above 60% long term on that engine,.. you have undersized the engine for its task,.. and yes,... doing everything you can to extend its life helps,.. but you are facing the fact that you are running it in a manner that dictates a very short lifespan no matter how you look at it.

It is simple physics... The a rough rule of thumb is that the "USE" you place upon a mechanical component,.. The shorter its lifespan,.. and typically, it is proportional to that use. I.E. -- making 50% more strain in one engine all the time compared to another would dictate it only lasts half as long.

Actually,.. if you want to do the best thing for it, and to satisfy your own personal goals, .. Put TWO pyro sensors,.. one in the pipe,.. and one on the manifold. $30 extra bucks for a second sensor and a switch is cheapo insurance. Tell me what you are happier watching going down the road in 6 months from now. -- everyone I have even met that did that,.. prefer the manifold, Even heavy haul guys. Perhaps what you do is the exception? -- so do BOTH,.. and let all of us know in a few months here on this forum what your own preference is, what it does for you to help you, and why. -- That will be the only way for you to answer your own question on here because it is you who you need to satisfy, not anyone else.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
./uploads/201606/post_1240_1466435777_d8fb5cd18162760cc2e5ce17c40b3ff5.jpeg

I agree with most of what Rawze wrote . Except one thing . I don't care about the cast iron . I care about the turbine, cage and nozzle because there's nothing to cool them down but hot exhaust gases. Why not to have immediate readings and back off before it gets dangerously high temperatures at the edge of turbine and melt it ? Pistons have cooling . Liners have cooling . Cast iron exhaust manifold have air on the outside to dissipate accumulated heat . Turbine have nothing. By the time heat from edges travel to the shaft into the oil some times two minutes are already to late.

P.S. This picture is representing what tunes are made outside of our community!
God bless Rawze , Gearhead and Unilevers for teaching and protecting us from such things!!!
replyreply
Great dialogue!
I'm aware that I will not get the lifespan out of my engine as the vast majority of trucks, but it's surprising not as decreased as you'd think. I know many guys doing what I do that in pre-mandate era still exceeded, or very close to 1M miles from N14's, Series 60's, and C-15's. A fair amount of the mechanics I've discussed this with say that a HH should see less overall DPF issues due to the workload creating enough heat to keep the system working. I'm not a great example as like I've stated previously I was plagued with a cracked head and coolant issues for far too long. I learned a lot from that experience, but man do I wish I had found your site and info years ago!
I am going to install the pyro this week when I get home. I will try the dual probe method, being a bit of a nerd, I know I'll watch both just because I can. And I will write a review for others as I too am a big believer of information sharing.
I'm not great with computers, but I can generally grind my way through. I have an Inline 5 with Insite as well as Catherm...a huge THANK YOU to a member here for helping me set all that up!
Any advise on where to look and what I'm looking for/at?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
07-01-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
I I got the same thing but after several test from 2 of my good trusted friends and mechanics my problem is the turbo a seal in it is causing the excess crankcase pressure rawze also has a thread floating around about punching a hole in that filter also but I would inspect your turbo your mileage is at that place where turbo time is calling!
replyreply
07-01-2016, (Subject: Excess blowby ) 
{**Content removed by protection bot duplicate of http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...30#pid4330 **}
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.