This dang freightliner
04-28-2019, (Subject: This dang freightliner ) 
This dang freightliner
This is a repost I think I posted the original in the wrong section. Alright guys I'm in Dayton New Jersey at the moment and my check engine light is back on I've got a dd13 with a 10 speed smartshift I just got the truck out of the shop 2 days ago and $6700 later for a clutch, electronic clutch actuator rear main all that good stuff and now my check engine light is on for nox conversion efficiency code spn004364 fmi 18 and the same code fmi 1 I'm cleared out right now I've spent well over 10k fixing stuff on this truck in the last few months does anyone know of a shop nearby that can demandate this thing and if so how much? I don't care about extra power or anything like that I just need my truck to run and be reliable so I can keep a roof over my families head right now any help is appreciated thank you.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: This dang freightliner
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  ...
does anyone know of a shop nearby that can demandate this thing

That is the wrong attitude. It is not about 'nearby',.. it is about finding someone that can be trusted to make a 100% reliable, safe program for that thing that does not have to be questioned later.

It being a DD' and not a cummins .... Only option is to get with forum member 'MommaBurt', 'Unilevers', or 'Mr Hagg' for some decent advice on solving your issues.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Keving , Zapah
Welcome to O/O been doing it 6 months myself i beleive im somewhere north of 20,000 in repairs fixing prior owners neglect from cheap overhaul to neglected maintenance.

I dont know of members off hand that work on Detroits but someone should chime in. but know if theres anything more wrong with the truck a demandate is going to expose it typically so be prepared for even more repairs without the mandate to get the truck happy.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Keving
(04-28-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
does anyone know of a shop nearby that can demandate this thing

That is the wrong attitude. It is not about 'nearby',.. it is about finding someone that can be trusted to make a 100% reliable, safe program for that thing that does not have to be questioned later.

It being a DD' and not a cummins .... Only option is to get with forum member 'MommaBurt', 'Unilevers', or 'Mr Hagg' for some decent advice on solving your issues.

Yes sir that's what I mean I'm not looking for just anyone to do this and I do want it done correctly my wife and I are just very stressed out right now and these truck problems are killing me i had 10k in my savings for maintenance and it's all gone as well as a run up credit card and even a 2k portion of the clutch replacement is financed by the dealership I need this truck reliable. I've emailed mr hagg, I'm just hoping to make it down to Georgia with these issues thank you rawze for the website and help that you provide I'm not sure where I'd be without it.
replyreply
(04-28-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Welcome to O/O been doing it 6 months myself i beleive im somewhere north of 20,000 in repairs fixing prior owners neglect from cheap overhaul to neglected maintenance.

I dont know of members off hand that work on Detroits but someone should chime in. but know if theres anything more wrong with the truck a demandate is going to expose it typically so be prepared for even more repairs without the mandate to get the truck happy.

Congrats man I still wouldn't want to do it any other way I didn't care for being a company driver I like having some freedom although I don't have my own authority or anything I'm just leased on to a company for now. I hope you can get your truck all sorted out as well 20k on top of whatever the purchase price is pretty steep however I'm getting close to that myself this year.
replyreply
Yes sir that's what I mean I'm not looking for just anyone to do this and I do want it done correctly my wife and I are just very stressed out right now and these truck problems are killing me i had 10k in my savings for maintenance and it's all gone as well as a run up credit card and even a 2k portion of the clutch replacement is financed by the dealership I need this truck reliable. I've emailed mr hagg, I'm just hoping to make it down to Georgia with these issues thank you rawze for the website and help that you provide I'm not sure where I'd be without it.

You may not agree, but your frustration is more than likely caused by some bad decisions (or lack there-of). I can think of a whole hell of a lot of stuff and a whole lot of tools I could buy with the $10,000 bucks you wasted at the incompetent rip-you-off with that alligator smile stealershi$it!. Running to them for ANYTHING is the wrong attitude in trucking these days. Keep doing that and you will end up just like the other 85% of everyone who can't seem to make it out here. - This forum is full of those who started out in trucking running off to a repair shop of sorts when they first started owning their equipment,.. they all learned the hard way that owning a truck these days and making any kind of money you can keep = taking matters into your own hand and doing most of the repairs yourself. ESPECIALLY the emissions systems and other repairs that don't require a tranny jack of some other super special thing. Even then, i would not have taken it to the most expensive place you could think of.-- I would have found someone else, someone I could watch to do the job right, instead of being fed a BS story of 'you can't watch us work' crap + me being able to help out to lower the cost.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , Keving , Pd6cas2
I'm starting to understand exactly where you're coming from at this rate. the sad thing is I have plenty of tools at home I've rebuilt jetski 2 stroke motors 4 stroke atvs motorcycles and I've replaced clutches on cars but this particular repair and the one before it were random or atleast I think it was there was no sign of slippage as far as the clutch went I pulled into the truck stop to get fuel and then pulled up from the fuel island went inside and when I came out the truck wouldn't shift into gear it's an automatic which was also probably a bad decision so I tried everything I knew to do cutting power to the truck cycling the key multiple times and nothing I did could get the truck to go into gear I also released the brake and let it roll forward some and still nothing so I got it towed to a shop that had towing they quoted the clutch and eca I thought because I had no signs of issues with the clutch that the eca was my real problem so I had them tow it over to freightliner who ended up quoting the same thing I'm not sure what else I could've done really short of towing it all the way from South Carolina to Florida I can't imagine the pilot truck stop would like me attempting to pull my transmission on the ground in their parking lot but I'm here to learn so if you have any better ideas and suggestions I definitely want to hear them because like you said this is my fault and I'm trying to fix my mistakes and prevent new ones.
replyreply
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  I'm starting to understand exactly where you're coming from at this rate. the sad thing is I have plenty of tools at home I've rebuilt jetski 2 stroke motors 4 stroke atvs motorcycles and I've replaced clutches on cars but this particular repair and the one before it were random or atleast I think it was there was no sign of slippage as far as the clutch went I pulled into the truck stop to get fuel and then pulled up from the fuel island went inside and when I came out the truck wouldn't shift into gear it's an automatic which was also probably a bad decision so I tried everything I knew to do cutting power to the truck cycling the key multiple times and nothing I did could get the truck to go into gear I also released the brake and let it roll forward some and still nothing so I got it towed to a shop that had towing they quoted the clutch and eca I thought because I had no signs of issues with the clutch that the eca was my real problem so I had them tow it over to freightliner who ended up quoting the same thing I'm not sure what else I could've done really short of towing it all the way from South Carolina to Florida I can't imagine the pilot truck stop would like me attempting to pull my transmission on the ground in their parking lot but I'm here to learn so if you have any better ideas and suggestions I definitely want to hear them because like you said this is my fault and I'm trying to fix my mistakes and prevent new ones.

Many times a person can pull the fuses from the XY shifter a time or 2, bump the power to it, and coax it into gear a few more times before it gives up completely.

When was the last time you did a clutch inspection and checked the amount of wear, etc? when is the last time you ensured the XY shifter was in good shape, had it inspected?

Not that you can always 100%prevent it, but most of the time, preventative maint. is the key to not ending up on the side of the road with sudden surprises. ThoseAuto-shitters are well known to have issues as they get some wear and age on them,.. The question is how do you plan on it not getting you into that situation again?. and what did you learn?.

My book has a maint. schedule in it that is pretty thourough for my prostar,.. but most of it would apply to any truck. -- I would suggest you copy and edit it then print that entire schedule out and take a weekend to fill it out completely + make any repairs and adjustments it suggests in its entirety without cheating it, if only at least one in a while.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid26680

those trannies also most likely have a maint. schedule for them avail by the maker of them. Go to the mfg website, or call them up, get a copy of the actual fully detailed maint schedule/procedures (and not just when to change the damn oil), then follow it. You would be surprised what you might learn. - I know if I was going to buy a truck with one, that would have been one of the first things I acquired. - Hell, even when i got my used tri-pak APU from thermo-king, I demanded they give me a copy of the detailed maint' schedule for it,. -- And the damned thermo-king idiot delershit never even heard of one!!,.. how the hell are they supposed to be OEM if they themselves donl;t even know the goddamn maint schedule of the units they are selling? -- What a damn joke! -- Next day, I e-mailed those morons a copy of it after I got it from Ingersol-Rand.

My own truck has had its share of problems too, just like anyone else. BUT, it has only been on the end of a tow hook one time in 1.3 million miles. (fuel solenoid electrical failure). - I had it towed about 12 miles to the nearest truck stop just to get it off the side of the interstate for safety reasons. Otherwise, I would have fixed it in place. - I'll be damned I will pay for anything I can fix myself, even if I have to go rent a car or get an Uber,.. and buy tools for it,.. etc. - that is how we make it out here, and keep the money we earn.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Keving , AFVetFltBdDr , Zapah
Also it's not all from that repair my delta p sensor set off a code at a pilot 30 miles from Indianapolis when it was about -20 or so I got on my phone and looked up info about cleaning the sensor and venturi pipe I removed the pipe and attempted to clean the holes on the pipe that were completely plugged with brake cleaner a pick and I got one of them clear but the other one i couldn't so i found the closest stealership which was in Indianapolis and I ordered an uber there to get a new sensor and venturi pipe when I came back I started the truck to attempt to get warm and I could smell coolant so I popped the hood and found a crack at the top of my radiator that was gushing coolant maybe because i didn't have a winter front? Idk I run heat in transit so I have to buy coolant frequently so the coolant was straight out of the 50/50 jugs idk why it cracked maybe 500k+miles of use maybe not having a winter front again idk also my starter was acting up and there's no way I could drive the truck with a 5mph de rate and coolant gushing out onto the ground so I got towed to the Schneider shop in Indianapolis again I don't think there's much else I could've done in this situation but if you have ideas I'm all ears
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.