This dang freightliner
04-28-2019, (Subject: This dang freightliner ) 
RE: This dang freightliner
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  I'm starting to understand exactly where you're coming from at this rate. the sad thing is I have plenty of tools at home I've rebuilt jetski 2 stroke motors 4 stroke atvs motorcycles and I've replaced clutches on cars but this particular repair and the one before it were random or atleast I think it was there was no sign of slippage as far as the clutch went I pulled into the truck stop to get fuel and then pulled up from the fuel island went inside and when I came out the truck wouldn't shift into gear it's an automatic which was also probably a bad decision so I tried everything I knew to do cutting power to the truck cycling the key multiple times and nothing I did could get the truck to go into gear I also released the brake and let it roll forward some and still nothing so I got it towed to a shop that had towing they quoted the clutch and eca I thought because I had no signs of issues with the clutch that the eca was my real problem so I had them tow it over to freightliner who ended up quoting the same thing I'm not sure what else I could've done really short of towing it all the way from South Carolina to Florida I can't imagine the pilot truck stop would like me attempting to pull my transmission on the ground in their parking lot but I'm here to learn so if you have any better ideas and suggestions I definitely want to hear them because like you said this is my fault and I'm trying to fix my mistakes and prevent new ones.

Many times a person can pull the fuses from the XY shifter a time or 2, bump the power to it, and coax it into gear a few more times before it gives up completely.

When was the last time you did a clutch inspection and checked the amount of wear, etc? when is the last time you ensured the XY shifter was in good shape, had it inspected?

Not that you can always 100%prevent it, but most of the time, preventative maint. is the key to not ending up on the side of the road with sudden surprises. ThoseAuto-shitters are well known to have issues as they get some wear and age on them,.. The question is how do you plan on it not getting you into that situation again?. and what did you learn?.

My book has a maint. schedule in it that is pretty thourough for my prostar,.. but most of it would apply to any truck. -- I would suggest you copy and edit it then print that entire schedule out and take a weekend to fill it out completely + make any repairs and adjustments it suggests in its entirety without cheating it, if only at least one in a while.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid26680

those trannies also most likely have a maint. schedule for them avail by the maker of them. Go to the mfg website, or call them up, get a copy of the actual fully detailed maint schedule/procedures (and not just when to change the damn oil), then follow it. You would be surprised what you might learn. - I know if I was going to buy a truck with one, that would have been one of the first things I acquired. - Hell, even when i got my used tri-pak APU from thermo-king, I demanded they give me a copy of the detailed maint' schedule for it,. -- And the damned thermo-king idiot delershit never even heard of one!!,.. how the hell are they supposed to be OEM if they themselves donl;t even know the goddamn maint schedule of the units they are selling? -- What a damn joke! -- Next day, I e-mailed those morons a copy of it after I got it from Ingersol-Rand.

My own truck has had its share of problems too, just like anyone else. BUT, it has only been on the end of a tow hook one time in 1.3 million miles. (fuel solenoid electrical failure). - I had it towed about 12 miles to the nearest truck stop just to get it off the side of the interstate for safety reasons. Otherwise, I would have fixed it in place. - I'll be damned I will pay for anything I can fix myself, even if I have to go rent a car or get an Uber,.. and buy tools for it,.. etc. - that is how we make it out here, and keep the money we earn.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Keving , AFVetFltBdDr , Zapah

Messages In This Thread
RE: This dang freightliner - Rawze - 04-28-2019
RE: This dang freightliner - Unilevers - 04-29-2019,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.