This dang freightliner
04-28-2019, (Subject: This dang freightliner ) 
RE: This dang freightliner
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  Rawze I'm scared at this point how many things you'd find wrong with my truck I don't doubt you're thorough right now I'm just trying to make some money to pay the Bills but I'm going to make time to start looking things over better and unfortunately spend less time at home for awhile.

Not sure what Detroit has to offer but ...

For those who own an ISX,...

They should start by signing up to quickserv.com (cummins official website) with your enigne ser#. - All you need to access, all maint. for enigne, every procedure, all parts, everything is there for free. That is a good starting place.

Go through your truck and start fixing it to make it reliable again. That is how YOU START MAKING MONEY YOU CAN KEEP.

And like most of the people on here have found out,... If you own a modern computerized engine -- YOU NEED THE SOFTWARE! -- Even if it is a Chineese knock-off for $300 bucks or so, because otherwise, you will be right back at the steaklershit wishing you had it.

Lastly, don;t feel singled out -- I 'hot-sauce' just about everyone who comes here when they first arrive equally,.. it is my way of getting people to realize there are better ways to own a truck, and better, less stressful ways to be profitable + do things the right way.

Things like slowing down a bit and managing time better,.. things like learning how to maintain your own equipment and become as self reliant as possible. otherwise there is no point to owning a truck. Might as well be a company driver, as you would make more take-home-and-keep money.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(04-28-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You more than likely snapped your hood open on that extremely cold day and cracked your radiator. Be gentle opening that hood. It may not have been you but if you bought a used truck you can guarantee the previous knuckle draggers threw it open without a 2nd thought.

Newer trucks for the most part don't recommend running winter fronts. The engine compartment is crowded enough and insulated to keep heat in even the coldest conditions.

I did buy the truck used it's an old maverick truck I don't recall if I opened the hood that way but I will certainly be more gentle in the future it had 462k miles when I got it so I'm sure the company drivers who had it opened the hood atleast a few times lol
replyreply
Some more truck info it's the 10 speed smartshift Detroit dd13 motor currently 572k on the odometer
replyreply
Rawze do you know where I can get a connector for my laptop and also where I can get the Detroit software I agree that it's necessary i wish i bought it long ago haha
replyreply
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  Rawze do you know where I can get a connector for my laptop and also where I can get the Detroit software I agree that it's necessary i wish i bought it long ago haha

an adapter on e-aby? - that is where many ppl get them. As far as software goes, i do not allow software trading, but there are plenty of places on the www for that kind of stuff. Maybe will get lucky and some1 PM you. I know its called DDDL for detroit.

places like zezauto and digitalKaos come to mind.

BTW: as my 3rd beer for the night is turned up, {rawze has an uh-oh moment - lol} I just realized I seriously has misseed ...

(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  ... I've got a dd13 ...

Apologies for that,.. this is mostly an ISX forum, it was assumed you had an ISX. - I went back and corrected my statements accordingly, might want to re-skimm through it, but much has not changed lol.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
It's all good brother pretty much everything you've mentioned applies either way as far as maintenance I do believe alot of things on the Detroit need to be programmed it sure could've saved me alot of money if I got the programming sooner I'm looking into options now if anyone else reads this and has an affordable solution to software and the adapter for the truck please PM me and rawze thanks again for the wakeup call all of us dummies need lol and taking the time to respond and give out all the information to help me out I really do appreciate it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
04-29-2019, (Subject: This dang freightliner ) 
You can also change your view on how you look at working on your truck and your free time or home time. Instead of looking at it as more work, start looking at it as a time to experience things with your family. Do what many of us do, drag your wife, girlfriend, kids, friends,... Hell everyone that you can find in to help you. it not only helps to get the job done and make it more fun it's also a lifelong experience that people will pass on that they had with you. Don't be ashamed of trucking and wrenching on your truck. Some of the best stories people tell are with me and when we're wrenching on things. I know of countless people that grew up working with their dads on trucks and it's some of their fondest memories. Why not pass that along?

I guarantee if you ask my girlfriend what a "tarp patching party" is, she'll laugh and tell you what it is and how it's done. I've caught her laughing and telling her friends what all it entails. You wouldn't think a nurse would be laughing about having a bottle of rubbing alcohol, vinyl and vinyl glue as a good time. But she sure does.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , Keving
Also, a laptop with the proper software and the adapter can easily fit in a safe secure place in the truck with you at all times. Then you can do road side diagnosis yourself any time something pops up. I carry mine with me every time I leave the house. Its paid for itself, a $500 investment and the time to learn it, no joke, probably 50 fold if not more in not needed road calls, non tow bills, no shop fees, way less down time, misdiagnosis and screw jobs from crappy shops and lazy techs... And occasionally a couple bucks from very grateful drivers on slow times in truck stops and road side or in hard up situations. Knowledge is power. And the knowledge of having the proper tools at hand and how to use them, keeps you in control. Not some monkey that can care less about you.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Keving
there is a calibration to zero out the delta-P sensor on some newer detroits. But by changing it you would have made it drivable to get it somewhere though.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Keving , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.