09 prostar horrible Mpg
05-23-2019, (Subject: 09 prostar horrible Mpg ) 
RE: 09 prostar horrible Mpg
(05-23-2019 )earnies2 Wrote:  
(05-23-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I'm wondering what the oil pressure is like? Having seen the work my dealership did and hearing your story brings back ugly memories. And I would bump the HP down, unless you are hauling 100,000 lb loads. And like Nick said, a pyro and boost gauge, and never lug the motor, keep the rpm's up. I bet they dry started the motor, that is what my gut tells me by your description of how it was running when you got it out of the shop. The mileage sounds about right though, I get 6 mpg all day long pulling a dry van with a mid roof, no fairing. 18 speed with 3:42 rears. I have a factory 600hp set to 485hp, Rawze did the tune.
My oil pressure is 20 idle and 45-47 going down the road. What should I put the hp at 475,500, or 525 I have a pyro and boost gauge and watch them constantly. I run down the road at 1450 to 1500 rpm I pull most hills at 1400 to 1700 rpm. Since the work was done I did change all 4 actuators and 1 injector I don't. run heavy I always try to run as light as possible usually under 30k on the deck. Do you think a new set of injectors would help? I'm only suggesting this because I have already had a problem with 1.

If you are running light, I would lower the HP for the extra fuel economy that offers. Sounds like you are doing everything right... As far as injectors, if they are the original and up there mileage wise and one or two fails... I put a full 6 pack in. When I do otherwise, bad things happen, no matter that part. And like Rawze said, that oil temp seems a bit high. I replaced my oil cooler at around 700,000 at the first in frame. They didn't by chance replace yours when they were working on the motor? Not saying it is bad, just wondering.

Oh, your damper, that is a wear item, Cummins recommends replacing every 500,000 miles. Something to put on the list if you have not down so already.

Just another thought, is that your trailer? If it is, have you checked the alignment on the tandems? Maybe they are out a bit and are causing issues with your fuel mileage? Again, just a thought, but I am thinking you should be doing a bit better on your mileage.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: earnies2
Maybe slow more on the hills and let the RPM's go to 1800 before shifting.
I been doing it like that lately. MPG seem ok but it has gone up since I haven't had to use my diesel bunk heater since it has warmed up.

User's Signature: Also known as Shotgun
replyreply
My pyro runs at around the 60 or 600 degrees. When I downshift and raise the rpm's up the temperature decreases. Spray down the pipes with soapy water, the cac boots etc and look for air leaking. Clean and change the IMAP sensor. yes another overhead.

User's Signature: Also known as Shotgun
replyreply
Make sure the apu is on good shape to. Tripaks have adjustable rockers if they're out of adjustment could loose some there to

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
05-24-2019, (Subject: 09 prostar horrible Mpg ) 
(05-23-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  has the overhead valves been adjusted since the inframe? - Maybe check em again?

Maybe wedge the engine to ensure a cam did not slip?

if you can get 40+ psi then the turbo is adjusted up a bit too high. That can also make fuel mileage fall off a bit.

those oil temps in a hard pull sound a tad high as well.
It's been a year since I last visited you has there been any updates to the program and maybe I should turn down the HP and boost? Is it s big job to wedge the cams to check timing? I ran the overhead when I changed the #5 injector I can run it again that's not a problem.
Should I change the oil cooler thermostat I was thinking about going to a 215 degree. I'm not sure about the age of the cooler? Or the damper
replyreply
Damper is a 500k miles item. When they go bad it can be as harmless as just throwing belts off of pulleys to snapping the snout right off the crank.

Oil cooler could use a new thermostat or a clean out and rebuild if thermostat is in decent shape.

Wedging the cam should be as easy as moving the engine to the right spot and placing the cam wedges in then making sure everything is where it's supposed to be with timing

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
The injectors were supposed to have been changed when the head was done but I did have one fail after that. I wouldn't be opposed to changing out my injectors....As far as i know the oil cooler hasent been touched i was thinking on changing the oil thermostat to a 215...i believe the damper is original.
replyreply
(05-23-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Make sure the apu is on good shape to. Tripaks have adjustable rockers if they're out of adjustment could loose some there to
The APU seems to run great I have never adjusted the valves I will look into that I service it all the time to include the air filter oil and fuel filter
replyreply
(05-24-2019 )earnies2 Wrote:  
(05-23-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  has the overhead valves been adjusted since the inframe? - Maybe check em again?

Maybe wedge the engine to ensure a cam did not slip?

if you can get 40+ psi then the turbo is adjusted up a bit too high. That can also make fuel mileage fall off a bit.

those oil temps in a hard pull sound a tad high as well.
It's been a year since I last visited you has there been any updates to the program and maybe I should turn down the HP and boost? Is it s big job to wedge the cams to check timing? I ran the overhead when I changed the #5 injector I can run it again that's not a problem.
Should I change the oil cooler thermostat I was thinking about going to a 215 degree. I'm not sure about the age of the cooler? Or the damper

I would NOT suggest you put a different temp oil thermostat in it. - The oil is supposed to be above that temp to keep moisture out. - Never 'baindaide' your problems,.. find out what is causing them and solve them properly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.