Cummins ISX cheaper parts
02-23-2016, (Subject: Cummins ISX cheaper parts ) 
Cummins ISX cheaper parts
Are there any worthy shortcuts or discounted parts for a Cummins ISX CM871 with a bad valve cam lobe and rocker roller?

The engine had an inframe rebuild done at 1 million miles, no head work done at that time. Now at 1,150,000 miles it has a bad valve cam lobe and rocker roller, and it smokes at startup only, so I think it has worn valve guide seals. Unknown repair history prior to 1M mile.

If we have to pull the head to do the camshaft replacement, I am leaning more towards replacing the head also.

New Cummins OEM is probably the most reliable way to go on all the parts here...but just to be thorough, are there any discounted "OEM quality" parts or reman that you would recommend?

Anyone use PAI (USA made Cummins ISX Head Gasket Set) for less than half the OEM cost?

I remember Gearhead saying that Reman Cummins heads were more likely to spin a bearing than a new one.

Please share your experience here, Thanks!
replyreply
RE: Cummins ISX cheaper parts
What i ment was it happens but i don't know if you can get new head or not. I think so but it would probably be 5000 or so.
replyreply
In the past I have used PAI mack parts and cummins Big Cam III inframe kits and never had a problem. I also used to buy lots of detroit engine parts and especially fuel gear parts from Interstae Mcbee, and gentleman Casey Garcia used to call on us in New Zealand once a year, and never had an issue with them either. Big name developing a lot of stuff themselves. having said that I hope they kept up their quality and haven't gone to corporate.
replyreply
IPD makes good stuff - use it alot no issues.
replyreply
02-24-2016, (Subject: Cummins ISX cheaper parts ) 
(02-23-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  Are there any worthy shortcuts or discounted parts for a Cummins ISX CM871 with a bad valve cam lobe and rocker roller?

The engine had an inframe rebuild done at 1 million miles, no head work done at that time. Now at 1,150,000 miles it has a bad valve cam lobe and rocker roller, and it smokes at startup only, so I think it has worn valve guide seals. Unknown repair history prior to 1M mile.

If we have to pull the head to do the camshaft replacement, I am leaning more towards replacing the head also.

New Cummins OEM is probably the most reliable way to go on all the parts here...but just to be thorough, are there any discounted "OEM quality" parts or reman that you would recommend?

Anyone use PAI (USA made Cummins ISX Head Gasket Set) for less than half the OEM cost?

I remember Gearhead saying that Reman Cummins heads were more likely to spin a bearing than a new one.

Please share your experience here, Thanks!

any time you pull the head off a cummins isx engine that has more than 450k miles on the head, it should be replaced. this is the rule of thumb, and now you have proof as to why.
replyreply
(02-23-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  What i ment was it happens but i don't know if you can get new head or not. I think so but it would probably be 5000 or so.

When I asked when checking prices, a new one wasn't even available. If you really wanted one you could probably get it.
~These engines are scaring the crap out of me~It seems there's a never ending list of stuff that can go wrong~
replyreply
I can't beleave someone rebuilt the engine and used to old head, that makes no sence. Unless you had just put it on like 100,000 ago and something happened to the bottom end.
replyreply
02-28-2016, (Subject: Cummins ISX cheaper parts ) 
(02-24-2016 )Mrkentee Wrote:  
(02-23-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  What i ment was it happens but i don't know if you can get new head or not. I think so but it would probably be 5000 or so.

When I asked when checking prices, a new one wasn't even available. If you really wanted one you could probably get it.
~These engines are scaring the crap out of me~It seems there's a never ending list of stuff that can go wrong~

I called Cummins direct, only reman heads available... That was last year.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.