Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe
05-31-2019, (Subject: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe ) 
RE: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe
LoL lots of extra hands volunteers LoL.
What man would say NO to beer and good company hehe
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
You guys mailing yourself get well soon cards to help with all that fun.
replyreply
Mail girl? dang if you look far enough in the woods you'll find some. The one's that Rawze absolutely despises but hurry before the dogs get em lmao!
replyreply
06-03-2019, (Subject: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe ) 
On friday, we got the head off it ...
./uploads/201906/post_2_1559589799_e5f4bc9952341c0bc596913d02be1001.jpg

The pistons and bottom of head looked pretty good. His engine is only 435HP, and he runs it slightly lean like i have on mine, for high fuel mileage settings instead of for more power.

It shows in the cylinders, as they are a bit on the "clean" side of things, but still looks pretty good...
./uploads/201906/post_2_1559590033_25d3b4adedc0758d36e6e2cadb795894.jpg

The head gasket was pristine, and all fire rings were like new, none of them crushed from a dancing liner. - He certainly did not have any liner issues with this thing, but we are going to raise the liners to 0.014" or 0.015" for good measure any ways.

No fuel impingement or other deposits or build-up, etc... but on the top edge of acceptable settings just like mine looked in the inframe video series I made.

- Just as a reminder for others here -- If this were a 500+ hp engine, he likely could not have gotten away with such clean-running, high in the bowl settings. Those kinds of adjustments are not for everyone, they are for lower HP and people who prefer hyper-miling over more power. I think he said his engine had been set this way for the last 400,000+ miles.

Cylinders 3 and 4 had broken top rings just due to the million miles of use and they were sharp as razor-blades. Those 2 cylinders were causing higher than normal blo-by but nothing unacceptable. He definitely made a good call with tearing the engine down instead of waiting until something gave way.

over the weekend, we took Sunday off.

Today (Monday), we pulled the guts out of the front gear train and are going to replace the gasket between front gear cover and the block. He said it has leaked for some time on his truck. I think he also ordered the overhaul kit, etc. with the help of Mr. Hags shop.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Chamberpains , Techmech , JMBT , Pd6cas2 , Toolguy
Sweet!
replyreply
I wish i am there again... master Rawze.. after this how long break do u need to help me with the same thing... i wish its mine badly....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver
The timing is sure up there.
replyreply
06-04-2019, (Subject: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe ) 
OK, we got the front gear cover off and the front gear cover gasket removed. Cleaned up the mating surface for it and then spent the better part of the afternoon honing the top of the block, drinking beer, and enjoying the day, in preparation for counter-bores.

After we got it all cleaned up, I counter-bored it. I went back to using my old-school methods and mechanical gauges instead of that digital crap that I tried to use on Waterloo's truck last year.

Here are the final measurements...

cyl#1 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance (about one tenthousanths) from side to side"
cyl#2 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"
cyl#3 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"
cyl#4 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"
cyl#5 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"
cyl#6 mid-stop depth of 4.7402" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"

{update: final height was 0.015" on all cylinders, exactly where we wanted them to be. }

All of his wrist pin bushings are worn just enough that I would not recommend re-use. He is going to have them re-sleeved I believe. Looks like maybe engine ran with no or very low oil pressure at some point? - Maybe soot-clogged filter once in its past? - who knows.? There was signs of the wrist pins/bushings running dry at some point in its distant past, heavy discoloring / a bit of heat scoring on all of them. The rods themselves look ok though.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Techmech , Magard , marek4792 , SquareOne , Waterloo
06-05-2019, (Subject: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe ) 
Rawze, you the man, and 74bassman kudos to you for getting in there and learning. I would love to be there helping and learning along with you! If I get anywhere close to GA, I’ll call Rawze and see if it is ok to come by. Even if I don’t make it through, I’ll definitely be tuned in to this thread!

Rawze, any chance you would turn loose of the plans for building that yard crane?? There maybe one of those in my future too. It’s badass!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.