Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe
06-03-2019, (Subject: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe ) 
RE: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe
On friday, we got the head off it ...
./uploads/201906/post_2_1559589799_e5f4bc9952341c0bc596913d02be1001.jpg

The pistons and bottom of head looked pretty good. His engine is only 435HP, and he runs it slightly lean like i have on mine, for high fuel mileage settings instead of for more power.

It shows in the cylinders, as they are a bit on the "clean" side of things, but still looks pretty good...
./uploads/201906/post_2_1559590033_25d3b4adedc0758d36e6e2cadb795894.jpg

The head gasket was pristine, and all fire rings were like new, none of them crushed from a dancing liner. - He certainly did not have any liner issues with this thing, but we are going to raise the liners to 0.014" or 0.015" for good measure any ways.

No fuel impingement or other deposits or build-up, etc... but on the top edge of acceptable settings just like mine looked in the inframe video series I made.

- Just as a reminder for others here -- If this were a 500+ hp engine, he likely could not have gotten away with such clean-running, high in the bowl settings. Those kinds of adjustments are not for everyone, they are for lower HP and people who prefer hyper-miling over more power. I think he said his engine had been set this way for the last 400,000+ miles.

Cylinders 3 and 4 had broken top rings just due to the million miles of use and they were sharp as razor-blades. Those 2 cylinders were causing higher than normal blo-by but nothing unacceptable. He definitely made a good call with tearing the engine down instead of waiting until something gave way.

over the weekend, we took Sunday off.

Today (Monday), we pulled the guts out of the front gear train and are going to replace the gasket between front gear cover and the block. He said it has leaked for some time on his truck. I think he also ordered the overhaul kit, etc. with the help of Mr. Hags shop.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Chamberpains , Techmech , JMBT , Pd6cas2 , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe - Rawze - 06-03-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.