Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe
06-04-2019, (Subject: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe ) 
RE: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe
OK, we got the front gear cover off and the front gear cover gasket removed. Cleaned up the mating surface for it and then spent the better part of the afternoon honing the top of the block, drinking beer, and enjoying the day, in preparation for counter-bores.

After we got it all cleaned up, I counter-bored it. I went back to using my old-school methods and mechanical gauges instead of that digital crap that I tried to use on Waterloo's truck last year.

Here are the final measurements...

cyl#1 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance (about one tenthousanths) from side to side"
cyl#2 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"
cyl#3 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"
cyl#4 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"
cyl#5 mid-stop depth of 4.7401" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"
cyl#6 mid-stop depth of 4.7402" with 0.0001" variance from side to side"

{update: final height was 0.015" on all cylinders, exactly where we wanted them to be. }

All of his wrist pin bushings are worn just enough that I would not recommend re-use. He is going to have them re-sleeved I believe. Looks like maybe engine ran with no or very low oil pressure at some point? - Maybe soot-clogged filter once in its past? - who knows.? There was signs of the wrist pins/bushings running dry at some point in its distant past, heavy discoloring / a bit of heat scoring on all of them. The rods themselves look ok though.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Techmech , Magard , marek4792 , SquareOne , Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teaching 74bassman how to do an inframe - Rawze - 06-04-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.