Turning my authority back on...
09-15-2019, (Subject: Turning my authority back on... ) 
RE: Turning my authority back on...
(09-14-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Yep, flatbed is a different animal, no argument there.

Well, just start throwing some strap's. You'll feel a whole lot better, and much stronger too.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
It's not always bigger faster stronger harder.
Know your numbers.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
(09-15-2019 )hhow55 Wrote:  
(09-14-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Yep, flatbed is a different animal, no argument there.

Well, just start throwing some strap's. You'll feel a whole lot better, and much stronger too.

I've been looking at tankers, but after getting the numbers I would be way ahead being a company driver for the outfits I called. After expenses, the company drivers are making the same amount without all of the headaches.

I thought of going back to flat bed too, but quite honestly, don't want to go back to that.

The other issue are these inflexible HOS, these have been kneecapping me at every turn. I like to do short haul, stay busy, I can't do that and make money like I used to.

I have been calling around and I think I found an outfit that may be right up my alley to lease on with. I will find out on Tuesday. They are local and will keep me within a few hours of the house if I am needed there. Consistent work, all miles paid, and very busy... Containers. Yes, containers.

The operations manager at their Indiana office spent a good half hour on the phone with me, wants me to work out of their main HQ with this one particular dispatcher. They have a Detroit office, but said he does not want me there for some reason, he would not elaborate. He told me they have some specialty stuff they need taken care of, long term with some very good customer they have and it pays a bit better. I guess he liked what he heard, just told him the truth.

Bottom line, I am paying the bills, and that is about it. I know things will get better but am quite honestly disgusted at what I am seeing out here. This is not how I remember it from my cross country produce days. And being camped out here, I am speaking with a good share of owner operators. None of us are doing that great, not enough to justify the insurance and operating costs of being a true independent. And I have spoken with refer, flat bed and tanker guys. We seem to be on the same page, "What the hell are we doing out here?". We were also all in agreement as far as who was making the money, seems to be we should have all been insurance agents or brokers. LOL!

Just don't have that fire in the belly anymore. My last company spoiled me. This ain't trucking, this is more like a slow death.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.