Cm 870 cry for help
09-15-2019, (Subject: Cm 870 cry for help ) 
RE: Cm 870 cry for help
It is truly shocking, and criminal at what goes on out here with these trucks and the folks that own them. I am in a different world than what I am used too being back out here on the road. I am honestly shocked at the conversations I have had with other owner operators, and there are a lot out here. You are correct when you stated these guys should be nowhere near a truck, much less owning one.

I'm not perfect by a long shot, but when I see owners of trucks that have packing tape and duct tape patching critical systems, like coolant and air lines, not get you to the shop or parts store fixes either, these guys had been running with literal tape holding their trucks together and thought nothing about it. I can only imagine what is sitting next to me in the truck stop right now. Very scary, especially out West where I am.

Another thing, I have been up on 80 running back and forth through the mountains, and no one uses their CB radios. I drove across the entire state of WY and never heard a peep regarding troopers, construction, deer, accidents, nothing, dead silence.

I was joking about this with another driver, and told him I am going to be a YouTube star... I'll buy a good camera and camp out in the mountains and film the carnage this winter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlvxvG8zOE

In a year or two I will be able to retire. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze
09-15-2019, (Subject: Cm 870 cry for help ) 
I have been very busy here at Rawzes compound haha... he is helping me tremendously not just with the mechanical aspect of the truck but many other things...

i wanna let everyone know that while this truck is in rough shape it is by no means worth getting rid of it has A LOT of little things that need done that nickel and dime...

To all that are reading this please take this thread as a warning for 2 reasons

#1 THIS IS WHAT BAD TUNING CAN DO TO YOUR ENGINE!!! (i only ran it about 10k miles)

#2 for anyone that is in the same position as me and makes the same decision i made to run the truck to pay for all of this i already had the plan made to be at mr haggs around oct 1 to get most of this done just needed to to get the $$$$... make sure you know what could happen if you try this as well... you might just end up with a blowout turbo in St Augustine fl and be lucky enough to limp it to rawzes house and having to rely on the company you are leased to to buy your parts and charge them back to you... or you might end up stranded... with no money... and still having to rely on the company you are leased to to save your ass...

i told Rawze when i got here my company is gonna help me as much as possible and ill stay here and work on this truck till i am out of money...
i told him what i have and we came up with a game plan on what i needed to repair right away and what can wait a little while...

so here is the list of what we are doing right away...

*Turbo (gonna get one from YTS here in griffin)

*Overhead set (Done)

*Program

*Rad Support Bushings

*CAC Boots

*Draglink

*Derustify lower rad pipe and CAC pipe (DONE)

*Re-torque all rear axle hubs (DONE)

*Check EGC

*Fix water leaks

*Fix Wiring

*Check king pin and bushings with a dial indicator

*check tie rod ends

*change oil at speedco on way out of town....

this should get the truck reasonably safe and the rest will be put a strict schedule that will be determined soon...

I made the decision to run the truck the way it was and am now having to take care of it.. believe you me if this truck was paid for it never would have hit the pavement until it was ready....

however no one plans on their father having 7 strokes and pushing everything else aside to take care of him...

all that aside i made the decision to run it because i know i can make money with a truck i just sucked at holding onto to it (fuel, downtime, repairs ect) but rawze is teaching me the ways and i am very very grateful for that
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , LRT1549 , Andre_The_Giant
09-24-2019, (Subject: Cm 870 cry for help ) 
(09-15-2019 )ynot Wrote:  There aint nothing wrong with a vibratec damper. That's what all the "performance" shops sell, though that aint saying much lol. Its priced around the same as oem. I've used one on my last 2 trucks without issue

Hammertime and I both had ours fail after only being on the truck for several months a few years ago. They’re sold by PukeDits. I had mine sent back to them and they said it tests fine, yet it would have destroyed my engine if I left it on. Makes me wonder how they test these things if they do at all.

Go with OEM. At least if it fails they will honour their warranty.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , Chamberpains , SIDE_SHOW
10-02-2019, (Subject: Cm 870 cry for help ) 
ok all here is an update on this ride... truck seems to be doing great i managed to do a 7 mpg avg over 4100 miles this last week after i left rawzes... and had the best week net $$ i have had this year... we did so much i dont know if i can remember the whole list but ill try to remember everything...

Turbo got a brand new from yts there in griffin for a steal...

we retorqued all of my exhuast manifold bolts

we set the overhead

replaced the valvecover gasket

freshened up lower rad pipe and cac pipe

did the rad support rod bushings

did the dragliink

checked the king pin and bushings both were in spec

chekced the tie rod ends both were in spec

my left spring is going a tad flat and needs replaced
and need spring hangars and bushings

replaced intake temp sensor

checked and retorqued all rear axle nuts all were way out of spec

installed 4 new batteries was having a terrible start problem that still persists when the truck is warm... if is hut it off warm it will not start till it cools down a buit it acts like dead batteries im guessing starter its the only thing left

cleaned all cable terminals with dremel

replaced lower rubber rad boot

repalced all heater hose and insulated with heat wrap

replaced 1 inch rad hose from expansion tank to waterpump and insulated with heat wrap

fixed awful programming

fixed wiring harness best i could it was very wonky

pressure tested coolant system after replacing all hoses and had a leak at every end from those stupid spring clamps so we replaced them with worm clamps

pressure tested cac and found one tiny little bitty leak not enough to worry about right now keeping an eye on it

changed air cleaner

insulated alot of rubbing lines under the hood

and when i left i stopped by a big box store and did an oil change with a gallon of 85-140

im sure there has to be things im forgetting we did so much while we were there...

there is still a long list of things i need to do but its gonna be one step at a time here are most of them

i still need

pyro and boost gauges asap

passenger windshield

air dryer

power steering resivoir and filter and all lines mine are rusted badly

crank damper

water pump has the wrong pulley on it so gonna do the whole pump with proper pulley

while i am there for the pump i will do the thermostat for coolant and oil both

may need an oil cooler not certain so just gonna throw that on there as well

engine harness

ambient temp sensor

front springs and bushings

rod and mains

all of the hood springs and bushings

re gear to 3:70s or 3:79

this is all i can think of at the moment and its not in order or anything im going to pick 1 or 2 things on this list every week starting asap

only problem im having right now is the freeze plug and oil feed fitting are leaking on this new turbo so i am getting back by yts ASAP and yito is gonna make it right for me

i believe i am finally on the right track with this thing and its all thanks to rawze and the members of this forum

i dont know what i would have done if it wasnt for this forum and for his guidance ill tell you this he def didnt cut me any slack he told me exactly what i was doing wrong and exactly how he felt about it and exactly how to fix it and sometimes the truth hurts but ill tell you this it was exactly what i needed to get me out of my just to get me by mentality...

i normally dont share personal things on here and im not really sure if there are any rules against it but i want to put it out there and tell this story so that someone else in my position doesnt make the same mistakes i did because i didnt even realize how bad it gotten until it was too late and im not just talking about the truck...

this year has been hell from my dad having 7 major strokes in may and my 2012 2250 fretting a liner and not being able to fix it all the way to this thing and selling off all of my other paid for trucks to stay afloat and so much more...

i had never been tested in this way without my father there to help guide me and i had fallen into this mode where i was running this truck with a just survive mentality just cover rent and pay the truck payment just barely scraping by with a few hundred dollars in my pocket at a time and you cannot run a business that way or the cycle that i was in would be never ending...

it is very easy to let things go and let them go and let them go and say if i can just make thru september oh october and before you know it you are in deep sh*t like i was when i pulled into rawzes...

all i can say is that i was blessed to have the guys that i have in my corner... the company i am leased to helped me get all my parts i needed and my creditors gave me time... and rawze pointed his finger and told me exactly where i was facking up...

but i was so close to almost having no money to fix it and having to have the thing towed to peterbilt and taking a greyhound home it wasnt even funny...

dont let this happen to you if the truck is in bad shape figure out a way to get it fixed even if you have to let it go and start over even if you have to get a job to get the cash together to get it done do it...

dont end up stranded with your future hanging in the balance with people you work for or the bank...but if you do and you end up at rawzes he WILL tell you what you are doing wrong and he WILL tell you how to fix it and it is up to YOU to take his advice and put it into action and that is what i am trying to do...

as my father always told me you have to control your own destiny meaning dont ever put yourself in a position where you have no where else to turn and the minute he wasnt there to hold my hand ill be damned if his cardinal rule didnt go out the window...

i am young probably too young but i am thankful i learned this valuable lesson now not later.... i am so very thankful that this forum is here and that i can learn from all the guys on here and i look forward gaining as much knowledge as i can from rawze and this forum and rawze i cant thank you enough
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.