Coolant level sensor
09-05-2019, (Subject: Coolant level sensor ) 
Coolant level sensor
Is 4.75v on the wire correct or is that to low. Been fighting with the sensor on and off for sometime. I’ve replace the sensor itself in May. Company before me ran a new wire to bypass old one and tapped into harness with a crappy connector. I had to redo that which solved the problem for few months. Now it’s back again. I rechecked my work and it’s still good. But wanted to double check voltage before I rip harness apart. 2012 Freightliner Cascadia 2250. Thanks
replyreply
RE: Coolant level sensor
maybe pull the sensor out of the tank and place a magnet next to its tip. If the fault goes away then it is a problem in the tank.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bubblewrap
Ok. Ty
replyreply
How did you correct the crappy connection? If you simply put another fresh butt connector on then your doomed to have intermittent problems.

ALL 5v circuits need to be properly SOLDERED at very least. 12v doesn't have this noticable problem but 5v sensor circuits drop voltage randomly. These are sensitive circuits. Butt connectors and other simple repairs cause very fast voltage drops. So fast that sometimes you won't see the through Insite and Cterm unless you spend a lit of time staring at them to catch it happening.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Signature620 , trucklogger2
(09-05-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  How did you correct the crappy connection? If you simply put another fresh butt connector on then your doomed to have intermittent problems.

ALL 5v circuits need to be properly SOLDERED at very least. 12v doesn't have this noticable problem but 5v sensor circuits drop voltage randomly. These are sensitive circuits. Butt connectors and other simple repairs cause very fast voltage drops. So fast that sometimes you won't see the through Insite and Cterm unless you spend a lit of time staring at them to catch it happening.

I did not know this. It was a solder connector heat shrink? Before the repair I had horrible intermittent issues. Replaced the sensor worked fine few days then back to same intermittent crap. Traced the wires to a splice they made with the little blue connectors that has the push tab to tie in another wire. Cut all that crap out ran new wires and that solder connector. I wanted to replace the pigtail but nobody had one in stock. No one issue with it until today. Started out a pretty steady check engine light. Then went off couple times then just stayed on. Haven’t had issue with that in months. Still think that would be the issue?
replyreply
09-06-2019, (Subject: Coolant level sensor ) 
Not necessarily. Rawze brings up a good point also. Some tank sensors are problematic. I don't know about Freightliner but the KW guys claim a lot of tank issues. I bring up soldering connections just so you don't chase your tail.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(09-06-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Not necessarily. Rawze brings up a good point also. Some tank sensors are problematic. I don't know about Freightliner but the KW guys claim a lot of tank issues. I bring up soldering connections just so you don't chase your tail.

was over at hags yesterday for a bit. Guy there was replacing his tank for the second time (he got an after-market tank) in 5 months because of just this problem on a KW I believe it was. Float sensor magnet in tank was inconsistent.

Not sure if freightliner uses same magnet type sensor or not, though I would mention it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Techmech
(09-06-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-06-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Not necessarily. Rawze brings up a good point also. Some tank sensors are problematic. I don't know about Freightliner but the KW guys claim a lot of tank issues. I bring up soldering connections just so you don't chase your tail.

was over at hags yesterday for a bit. Guy there was replacing his tank for the second time (he got an after-market tank) in 5 months because of just this problem on a KW I believe it was. Float sensor magnet in tank was inconsistent.

Thanks guys. I will check it out tonight or Saturday morning and report back with findings.
replyreply
09-07-2019, (Subject: Coolant level sensor ) 
Thanks for the reply’s everyone. So today I went ahead and got new sensor. Seems everyone has issues with them anyways. So I went to pull it out and with out any force the guts fell out. So pulled the rest out. Put new one in. Started it up with insite and all inactive. Wish they could make sensors little better quality. Person go broke replacing crap every three months lol.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.