Testing Starter relay switch
09-14-2019, (Subject: Testing Starter relay switch ) 
Video Testing Starter relay switch
What’s the proper way to test the starter relay switch? Every now and then ill go to start up, I’ll hear a loud click then nothing happens(zero cranking). I key off, wait a bit, then try again and it usually works fine. I’m assuming this is the problem? My starter is only a year old and all of my wires and connections seem fine.

06 KW T800 cm870

Thanks in advanced for any input- Andre

User's Signature: I may be cross eyed, but i don’t cross thread
replyreply
RE: Testing Starter relay switch
When the truck is running, take a rubber mallet and smack the top of the ECM, see if anything happens.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Andre_The_Giant
It’s normal for one to do that every once in a while. Make sure the bolts on the back of the starter aren’t lose. The long little bolts that hold it together. If there loose it won’t ground internally correctly. That could cause it if it does it pretty regularly just change the starter. No sense in messing around.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Andre_The_Giant
(09-14-2019 )Andre_The_Giant Wrote:  What’s the proper way to test the starter relay switch? Every now and then ill go to start up, I’ll hear a loud click then nothing happens(zero cranking). I key off, wait a bit, then try again and it usually works fine. I’m assuming this is the problem? My starter is only a year old and all of my wires and connections seem fine.

06 KW T800 cm870

Are you sure that is the starter solenoid? That looks like some other power source to the starter. The starter should have a solenoid that engages bendix gear and power the the starter motor.
replyreply
When you replaced the starter a year ago. Did you purchase the starter according to your vin#?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Yes it’s a genuine replacement, although now it’s a “high tourque” model or something like that. The truck still did this every now and then before the new starter. Now slightly more often

replyreply
(09-14-2019 )Magard Wrote:  
(09-14-2019 )Andre_The_Giant Wrote:  What’s the proper way to test the starter relay switch? Every now and then ill go to start up, I’ll hear a loud click then nothing happens(zero cranking). I key off, wait a bit, then try again and it usually works fine. I’m assuming this is the problem? My starter is only a year old and all of my wires and connections seem fine.

06 KW T800 cm870

Are you sure that is the starter solenoid? That looks like some other power source to the starter. The starter should have a solenoid that engages bendix gear and power the the starter motor.

The picture is of the Relay, should I be testing the solenoid instead?

replyreply
(09-14-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  When the truck is running, take a rubber mallet and smack the top of the ECM, see if anything happens.

Should I hit the thin edge downwards towards the bottom of the truck? Or horizontally just at the top? I don’t mind tapping on it, but I don’t think smacking a 13 year old ecm is a great idea. Or should it normally take it fine

replyreply
Mr Rawze told me personally, Mitsubishi is the best and trouble free starter, and it will be the next one I purchase.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Andre_The_Giant

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.