Why is my oil black?
10-09-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
RE: Why is my oil black?
(10-09-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...I just weighed the tractor with full tanks, 22,350 lbs, she is heavy...

This makes me giggle...
Hey Brock, what does your truck weigh bobtail?
ROFLMAO!!!!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: the missing link , Brock
(10-09-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I’m confused. My oil is black, soon after every oil change. That’s not normal? I did forget to sample it last time, I need to sample it here shortly

Some guys are just very fussy about how there engine is running. For the most part black oil is normal.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Mine will stay VERY clean for the first 5-6000mi. Then gradually get darker. At about 7500-9000 it begins to show a caramel - darker caramel coloring. This last change I let it run out the longest (about 15k and 305hrs), and it was definitely dark, but not black by any means. Could've likely let it go another few thousand comfortably, but just went ahead and changed it .....I bought the engine with 260k from a large fleet (salvage truck), so no telling how it was treated. It's a 2350...BTW with very little idling.

- Now, I can absolutely tell the audible difference with fresh oil. Engine sounds tighter and generally quieter across the RPM range.

- And Hammer, if you think Waterloo's weight will make you chuckle, my rig is only 29k lmao! That's truck/trailer with about 3/4 tanks of fuel (12k of that is the trailer)...its just a daycab Cascadia. Haven't made it to big boy status lol.
replyreply
Going around the motor... Back pressure sensor is toast, iMap looks sketchy, heat shield for EGR valve is toasty, poked my finger through that... And, found a lose bolt on the coolant thermostat assembly along with some sketchy wiring. Parts on order, will pick up tomorrow.
replyreply
10-10-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
(10-09-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I’m confused. My oil is black, soon after every oil change. That’s not normal? I did forget to sample it last time, I need to sample it here shortly

Some guys are just very fussy about how there engine is running. For the most part black oil is normal.

I can't stand black oil. Here is mine after 5,000 miles or so. This is actual, not doctored etc. Anyone is welcome to come take their own photos / check it them selves...
./uploads/201910/post_2_1570719506_e26b13da2337bc5f8bddd13bed077b4b.jpg

hyper-miling, no idling for much of anything, all maint. and engine kept up very well, 1 gallon of gear lube added at each oil change, etc.

there are at least a dozen or so others on this forum who's trucks are the same way.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
(10-10-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  

I can't stand black oil. Here is mine after 5,000 miles or so. This is actual, not doctored etc. Anyone is welcome to come take their own photos / check it them selves...

hyper-miling, no idling for much of anything, all maint. and engine kept up very well, 1 gallon of gear lube added at each oil change, etc.

there are at least a dozen or so others on this forum who's trucks are the same way.

That is very very impressive.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
This is mine at a hair under 7k miles. It’s very bright outside so it may appear to be a slight bit cleaner than it actually is, but all in all I think very acceptable compared to what it once was when the engine was 1st purchased.

Same as Rawze...hyper-miling (best as I can), 3/4 gallon of gear oil, very little idling and strong maintenance regiment. Truck has averaged 8.790mpg over the last 61k miles.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
That is how mine looked right after the first MM a few years ago, I could always tell when I was getting close to an oil change as she started darkening up. And I'm like you guys, I hate to see that dirty oil in my motor.
replyreply
10-11-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
(10-09-2019 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...I just weighed the tractor with full tanks, 22,350 lbs, she is heavy...

This makes me giggle...
Hey Brock, what does your truck weigh bobtail?
ROFLMAO!!!!

Just cus some poeple Damm near pack that on the steer axel eh ....

Bawhaha

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.