Engine Running Hot
07-04-2016, (Subject: Engine Running Hot ) 
RE: Engine Running Hot
(07-03-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(06-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Don't forget about the internal part. I spent yesterday doing a flush with Cummins Restore and replacing coolant with Fleetguard ES Complete.
The flush is an alkaline additive to tap water, dive it around for 60-90 minutes, flush with tap water a few more times, drain and fill with new coolant repalce filter.
Did a nice job cleaning some minor oil residue from inframe out of the surge tank.

Hey in2, how many times did you "rinse" with straight tap water? The instructions only say once, I did mine 3 times and had a little foaming from the cleaner on the third time. Going to put coolant back in it now.
I don't know about you, but I sure had a hard time dropping operating temperature Restore/water and then refilling shortly with tap water. That seems like way to much of a temperature difference to me! I've only got a small hot water tank here at the shop, so I warmed as much as I could but it didn't like doing that.

Your concerns are legitimate,.. It is not a good idea to take several gallons of cold tap water and dump into a hot engine. That is how head gaskets get leaky.

===

when I flushed mine,.. I used a garden hose and let it run for about an hour with all drain ports open and the bleeder at the top of the thermostat going into the drain as well.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
07-04-2016, (Subject: Engine Running Hot ) 
(07-03-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(06-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Don't forget about the internal part. I spent yesterday doing a flush with Cummins Restore and replacing coolant with Fleetguard ES Complete.
The flush is an alkaline additive to tap water, dive it around for 60-90 minutes, flush with tap water a few more times, drain and fill with new coolant repalce filter.
Did a nice job cleaning some minor oil residue from inframe out of the surge tank.

Hey in2, how many times did you "rinse" with straight tap water? The instructions only say once, I did mine 3 times and had a little foaming from the cleaner on the third time. Going to put coolant back in it now.
I don't know about you, but I sure had a hard time dropping operating temperature Restore/water and then refilling shortly with tap water. That seems like way to much of a temperature difference to me! I've only got a small hot water tank here at the shop, so I warmed as much as I could but it didn't like doing that.

I spent most of the day doing this. After driving for 90 min I shut it down for an hour to cool down then put the hose in the surge tank at full volume, removed old coolant filter and opened the valve and ran it for about 10 minutes with both heaters on shut it down an just let the hose run through it awhile, then drained it down completely and pulled the lower radiator hose. I ran the hose in the lower opening at full blast for another 15 minutes, moved hose to surge tank again for another 15 minutes.
After that, I put the hose and old coolant filter back on and refilled the system with water and repeated the process again, only set the idle up to a 1000 instead of driving it, let it get up to temp, running the heaters.

Kind of a drawn out process but I wanted to make sure it was thoroughly flushed. I went through this 3 times,
Each time I didn't want to pump cold water into a hot engine, so I had to work with the temperature of the engine. I had all day to do it and just took my sweet time.
There was still a little foam but after 3 times a figured that was good enough.

After you get the coolant back in, go drive it awhile. It had to bonce around to get all the air pockets out.
It took 2 more gallons before stabilizing.
replyreply
06-07-2020, (Subject: Engine Running Hot ) 
Refractometer, extra distilled water, drive 60-90 drive with flush, rinse 3 times, new coolant filter, cleaning fins with hot pressurized water to prevent damage, using a sheet separator to more effectively clean. All great tips. Thank you.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.