2010 Peterbilt 387 HELP
12-16-2019, (Subject: 2010 Peterbilt 387 HELP ) 
2010 Peterbilt 387 HELP
Good evening group and thankyou Rawze for allowing me to join. I would like to get every ones thoughts and advice on a truck I just purchased.
I just purchased a 2010 Peterbilt 387 with a 15L ISX.
I plan to restore/customize this rig and then work it part time hauling cars. I currently work as The Terminal Manager for a Trucking company. I give you some back ground on the truck that I have found out.
The Truck has been sitting for over a year
The truck has 1.4 million miles on it
I have no maintenance records but I was able to track down the previous owner to get a little information. The previous owner had the truck for 2 years with no major repairs needed. He said that he hated to see the truck go.
My questions to the group are...…
1. What should I be looking to replace first ?
2. What should I expect to go bad first ?
3. What PM items should be taken car of first besides replacing ALL fluids ?
4. How do I get maintenance records from Peterbilt or Cummins ?
MY plans with this truck....
1. New paint and minor bodywork
2. Have all wheels and tanks polished
3. All new tires
4. New brake shoes, drums, wheel seals, S-cam bushings, maybe new slack adjusters
5. New interior with custom cabinets and laminate floors
I would love any advice and tips that you guys can give me.
replyreply
RE: 2010 Peterbilt 387 HELP
(12-16-2019 )Sedrick Wrote:  1. New paint and minor bodywork
2. Have all wheels and tanks polished
5. New interior with custom cabinets and laminate floors
I would love any advice and tips that you guys can give me.

^^^^^^Skip this^^^^^
vvvvvvv because of this vvvvvvvvvv

With 1.4 million on it surely its been inframed once already and most likely been done wrong(stick around a while and you'll understand why) If not it's time to do it so any way you cut it your looking at an inframe. And whatever you do don't let the dealer or your local "cummins expert" do the work. There are a very very small group of people you can trust with your $38K engine. Luckily for you they reside right here :)

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Thank you, I'm doing as much research as I possibly can.
How much does an " in frame" overhaul kit cost ?
replyreply
in-frame costs 35-40k the kit is maybe 15-20k if you have all the equipment to re-bore for the liners and do all the work yourself. the truck is a 2010 and so is mine but its build date was in 2008 so everything original on the truck is now 10-12years old. i would be looking at replacing Fuel Lines, all rubber air lines to brake system, all the rubber boots on the engine, the IMAP sensor, Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor, EGR Delta sensor, if your spending the money send the turbo to YiYoto i believe is the name in Atlanta and have him rebuilt the turbo and actuator, have the aftertreatment can baked and flow tested, probably replace the DOC, remove inspect/replace doser injector, pull all the EGR pipeing and intake and clean best you can.

idk your mechanical ability so ill just say you do 50% of this work and the work you posted youll probably have the truck on the road for around 65-75k possibly 100,000 in repairs, replacements, tuneup work, paint and body, customizations this is if you just go balls out on everything getting it all done. not everything has to be done but most is a must on a used truck. if you can shimy on by without and overhaul for a bit if engines in ok shape you might get out around 50k

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
12-17-2019, (Subject: 2010 Peterbilt 387 HELP ) 
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3217

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(12-16-2019 )Sedrick Wrote:  ...

Are these original miles on the engine?, or has it been inframed at some point?

With it siting for a year, it likely has a lot of lot-rott.

* Have you inspected the overhead cams?

* Is is stock engine and programming? - or has it been deleted?

- What is the rear ratio on the truck and other specs?

- Does it have a PTO for the hydraulics on a car-hauler trailer?

etc.etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-16-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  in-frame costs 35-40k the kit is maybe 15-20k if you have all the equipment to re-bore for the liners and do all the work yourself. the truck is a 2010 and so is mine but its build date was in 2008 so everything original on the truck is now 10-12years old. i would be looking at replacing Fuel Lines, all rubber air lines to brake system, all the rubber boots on the engine, the IMAP sensor, Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor, EGR Delta sensor, if your spending the money send the turbo to YiYoto i believe is the name in Atlanta and have him rebuilt the turbo and actuator, have the aftertreatment can baked and flow tested, probably replace the DOC, remove inspect/replace doser injector, pull all the EGR pipeing and intake and clean best you can.

idk your mechanical ability so ill just say you do 50% of this work and the work you posted youll probably have the truck on the road for around 65-75k possibly 100,000 in repairs, replacements, tuneup work, paint and body, customizations this is if you just go balls out on everything getting it all done. not everything has to be done but most is a must on a used truck. if you can shimy on by without and overhaul for a bit if engines in ok shape you might get out around 50k

Thanks Lonestar.
I started my career as a Diesel Mechanic so I'm pretty handy with doing most of the repairs. I can do I complete brake job with my eyes closed but I don't have an air compressor or a 1 inch air gun to get the tires off !! LOL I hate that I will have to pay someone labor just because I can't get the tires off but what can I do.
replyreply
(12-17-2019 )Sedrick Wrote:  
(12-16-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  in-frame costs 35-40k the kit is maybe 15-20k if you have all the equipment to re-bore for the liners and do all the work yourself. the truck is a 2010 and so is mine but its build date was in 2008 so everything original on the truck is now 10-12years old. i would be looking at replacing Fuel Lines, all rubber air lines to brake system, all the rubber boots on the engine, the IMAP sensor, Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor, EGR Delta sensor, if your spending the money send the turbo to YiYoto i believe is the name in Atlanta and have him rebuilt the turbo and actuator, have the aftertreatment can baked and flow tested, probably replace the DOC, remove inspect/replace doser injector, pull all the EGR pipeing and intake and clean best you can.

Thanks Lonestar.
I started my career as a Diesel Mechanic so I'm pretty handy with doing most of the repairs. I can do I complete brake job with my eyes closed but I don't have an air compressor or a 1 inch air gun to get the tires off !! LOL I hate that I will have to pay someone labor just because I can't get the tires off but what can I do.

You don't need a 1" impact or air compressor to get the tires off. Yeah it's easier and faster but not the only way. A torque multiplier like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FV4B21K/ref...-Db4H7KF9B

And a bottle jack, your ready to do your own brakes.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Waterloo
(12-17-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-16-2019 )Sedrick Wrote:  ...

Are these original miles on the engine?, or has it been inframed at some point?

With it siting for a year, it likely has a lot of lot-rott.

* Have you inspected the overhead cams?

* Is is stock engine and programming? - or has it been deleted?

- What is the rear ratio on the truck and other specs?

- Does it have a PTO for the hydraulics on a car-hauler trailer?

etc.etc.
As far as I know these are the original miles.
I have no proof or evidence of any past engine rebuild, How do I find out ?
The rear axles are 355
I don't know how to tell if anything has been deleted with out taking things apart.
I did crawl under the truck to check the DPF filter, it looked normal. I did however find a DPF filter in the bunk, I'm not sure what this means. Maybe it was replaced ? The previous owner told me that it needed an EGR filter, I'm sure he meant the DPF filter.
The truck has a Wet Kit installed, that's one of the reasons I bought it. The previous owner told me that he spent $4000 to have it installed. I've watched your videos. One of the first things I plan to do is an EGR tune-up.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.