Engine decides to run rough...shut down. HELP
06-27-2016, (Subject: Engine decides to run rough...shut down. HELP ) 
Engine decides to run rough...shut down. HELP
A friend of mine was in Chicago today and all of a sudden his engine decides to surge and run rough. As I was on the phone with him I asked him to start the truck since the check engine light would not light up to show a code. It would not start. One of his tanks was empty and the other full.
Because the check engine light went out I considered the possibility of a fuel line clogged or a junction valve not working right. He did get fault codes off his Rawze approved ....lol.... Keven Ruthurford scangauge but the codes dont make any sense. Here is the video so lets start with that.

My call is fuel starvation caused by a problem in the fuel system before the fuel pump.

https://www.facebook.com/broughamls/vide...914572964/

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201606/post_1845_1467041613_0f961ae2ac83c3b5d6af2d06851ec5de.jpg./uploads/201606/post_1845_1467041601_077db1b3910a09fe6069cefaccb107d5.jpg
replyreply
RE: Engine decides to run rough...shut down. HELP
What kind of truck is this?
replyreply
One tank empty, the other full? Maybe he sucked up a bunch of air and lost the prime.
Is it an international? Bad transfer pump maybe. I'd get some fuel in that tank a fill the filter up and see if he can restart it.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(06-27-2016 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  A friend of mine was in Chicago today and all of a sudden his engine decides to surge and run rough. As I was on the phone with him I asked him to start the truck since the check engine light would not light up to show a code. It would not start. One of his tanks was empty and the other full.
Because the check engine light went out I considered the possibility of a fuel line clogged or a junction valve not working right. He did get fault codes off his Rawze approved ....lol.... Keven Ruthurford scangauge but the codes dont make any sense. Here is the video so lets start with that.

My call is fuel starvation caused by a problem in the fuel system before the fuel pump.

It will run rough like that for up to 10 minutes after air has gotten into the fuel system.

I don't like the scamgauge so much,... I think the roadrelay is better instead.

https://cumminsengines.com/roadrelay

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
the full tank has something obstructing the fuel suction tube, it is probably getting fuel through the return line and overflowing through the breather tube, the empty tank is thus running dry.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
(06-27-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-27-2016 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  A friend of mine was in Chicago today and all of a sudden his engine decides to surge and run rough. As I was on the phone with him I asked him to start the truck since the check engine light would not light up to show a code. It would not start. One of his tanks was empty and the other full.

It will run rough like that for up to 10 minutes after air has gotten into the fuel system.

I don't like the scamgauge so much,... I think the roadrelay is better instead.

https://cumminsengines.com/roadrelay

I want one of these Roadrelay units! There are two, a 4 and 5 version. The 5 version has a hookup for the Inline/Insite reader. So, will the 5 version work with my un-mandated CM871? Any idea on cost? Seeing used #4 units on fleabay for $200 and up. Thanks Rawze for the info!
replyreply
06-28-2016, (Subject: Engine decides to run rough...shut down. HELP ) 
When mine did this, it was the block valve on the return fuel line that was bad.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
06-29-2016, (Subject: Engine decides to run rough...shut down. HELP ) 
Guessing the fault codes were fuel pressure related.... They blew air back to the tank and whatever was blocking the line went back to the tank. Truck runs fine now. I told him he needed to run the tanks down to 1/4 and put a borescope in to find what blocked the line.....and remove it.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.